Reef Discussion

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
How to fix electrical items dropped in water
Just a tip for things dropped in water...rinse in fresh water, very quickly, unscrew covers as much as possible, shake water out, you can use a hair dryer on cold, bury it in a tub of rice grains...two days, back to new...have tried this with wife's hair dryer, wife's straightener, two mobile phones, one car remote control, one remote control vehicle and TV remote...worked every time.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
lol, my youngest daughter stuffed my last phone, into a cup of water for god knows how long. that one didn't make it though. didn't really care either as I hate phones lol.

there are some other things that will draw moisture out, there is a powder that mechanics use to get oil spills up of the floor completely. cant remember the name of it though, its around 20 odd bucks for a bag of like 30l but the stuff works a treat.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Don't want to to be the bad guy here, but please be careful, especially with 240v appliances, that have been dunked. We don't want anyone getting electrocuted and the best advice is probably to follow the manufacturers recommendations when things get wet.
;)

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
I would of thought it to be obvious to unplug 240v appliances straight away. in this age safety switches are a great invention but are not fool proof.

as majic has said use caution

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I would of thought it to be obvious to unplug 240v appliances straight away. in this age safety switches are a great invention but are not fool proof.
I was more thinking about after they had 'dried them out' - always possible for some residual water to still be retained somewhere resulting in a big bang :eek: