Off-Topic

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
How To Make Wood Urine-proof?
I've decided to move my 2 ferrets from their existing cage into a DIY converted wooden crate and make it a bit more like a den for them (plus I chanced on a really cool looking crate). Its similar size to an apple crate, but rectangle.

I'm trying to work out how to seal the inside of it to protect it from urine. The ferrets are litter box trained but one of them often goes next to it and I also need to be able to wash things down as they carry their meat around the cage.

I thought about tiling the inside of it and halfway up each wall but that will add a lot of weight to the crate so I'm not sure I want to. It will be on industrial castors but still...

I currently use vinyl adhesive tiles on their cage shelving but I have to replace it every 2 years as eventually the moisture gets between the joins and the MDF underneath starts to swell.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I can waterproof/seal it with that will withstand urine? It can't have any weaknesses or the ferrets will dig at it if they get bored.

Miller

Dec 4, 2012
traralgon
polyester resin would work well
Can put in a pretty thick coat and you can then hose it all down and it's super strong
They use it on boats and bench tops and what not
Not sure where you would get it from but I'm sure hardware shops could get some or know who could

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I actually have some resin - enough for a few coats. Only thing is it needs to be cured using heat otherwise it will yellow and crack. I've only ever made small things with it so I just put it in the oven. I've seen people use a blow torch on table tops and coffee tables but I've never done it before. Guess I should give it a go, might have to do some reading up first!