Tank Journal Archive

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
How Will I Heat This Thing?
Hi reefers,

the main thing im stuck on with this build is how to heat it.

So working off roughly 2000L of water, what do i use to heat it, ive been thinking and looking around, but cant seem to find much, i have tried stalking a few of the bigger tank builds, but didn't come back with much.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
image.jpg
We use 2 x 300w enheim heaters. Both in sump 1 plugged into power board with it's own clipsal switch. Other plugged into heater control box which allows us to set a accurate temp with. 1 degree variance. This heater control is plugged into seperate power board with clipsal switch. So if one board shorts for any reason we still have a heater at all times. Hope this helps.
image.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I have one 600w Shego titanium heater on my 1000L tank which easily holds it at 25 degrees all winter.

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
Hi All and thank you for your responses and help.

i know you can get 2000w titanium heaters which mite do the job.

or 2-3 300w ehiem heaters
I am so suprised that i missed the ehiem 300w heaters online, i have gone through the online australian websites and have never seen these, or i did and assumed they werent able to do the job without reading about it.

I have seen the titanium ones that can do the job, but they were at a cheap price and came with a controller, i just wasnt sure about them, i didn't want some cheap ass heater to be the end of me, but gtrxu1 & buddy have eased my mind and recomended some good brands. Nice:)

2-3 eheims on a controller.

edit - or titaniums on a controller - Sewatec sell awesome ones at a good price
Cheers gtrxu1:)

View attachment 47584 We use 2 x 300w enheim heaters. Both in sump 1 plugged into power board with it's own clipsal switch. Other plugged into heater control box which allows us to set a accurate temp with. 1 degree variance. This heater control is plugged into seperate power board with clipsal switch. So if one board shorts for any reason we still have a heater at all times. Hope this helps. View attachment 47583
Thats so sexy!! Very well done electricals. Was this a DIY or electrician?

Given the size of the tank, if you've got the cash to spend I'd have a look at the heater/chiller unit that Teco make :)Would be a sound and solid investment on the tank! Albeit expensive!.
Yeah, i had considered that but was hoping it wasnt my only option, currently on my 250 and 140 i am running no heater or chiller all summer only a fan, and the 250 has been running higher than id like all summer because of the T5 lighting (28-29), but the 140 has been at 27 almost all summer, it has creaped higher no doubt at times, but has been cooler than the 250 at all times (assuming LED lights, plus not running as many pumps).
But this experiment has proven to be sucessful, so i want to see also if the new tank will require one either.
I am prepared to purchase one if i need to as it can cost me more in the long run by not buying one if everything starts to get sick etc, and if i do get one it will be a teco for sure.:)

Here's one of them from AoA:
https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=7206&catID=26 (EDIT: posted the wrong link lol)[/QUOTE]

I have one 600w Shego titanium heater on my 1000L tank which easily holds it at 25 degrees all winter.
Thanks buddy:)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
We just have a cheap arse 500w Weipro titanium on our tank. 1 in the 10ft, 1 in the 8ft, both about 5yts old now & still going. A couple of Eheim's in the garage if ever needed.
Only fault I can pic is that after a power cut they do need to be reset.
Depending on the environment, 2000ltr's takes awhile to cool & heat again.