Off-Topic

V

'vspec'

American Hunters Bob Robb has posted up the top 14 bows he found at the 2012 ATA (Archery Trade Ass.) conference.
Strangely it was the top 15 bows last year, so maybe they are trying to reach a top 10 list instead..lol :)

I personally have to find out the legalities of bringing one into south america, but It is definitely on the cards!

Thoughts on the below?

awww.americanhunter.org_home_carousel_images_alpine_archery_silverado_le_bow.jpg
Alpine Archery Silverado Limited Edition: A cool feature of this bow is the Velocitric Hybrid Cams with a locking mechanism that enables shooters to relax the string for adjustments of peep sight installation and removal without a bow press. It just looks hot with its black, powder-coated riser, brown components and Mossy Oak Infinity camouflage-finished limbs. The bow is 31-inches axle-to-axle, weighs less than 4 pounds, and has a 7 ¼-inch brace height, adjustable draw lengths from 27 to 30 inches and an IBO speed rating of 330 fps. MSRP: $599

awww.americanhunter.org_home_carousel_images_apa_mamba_m6_bow.jpg
APA Innovations Mamba M6: Based in Biggar, Saskatchewan, APA builds very interesting hunting compounds. It is the only company that builds a nock wrench, broadhead wrench and carbide sharpener right into the bow’s riser, and its “Fang Riser” features a small hook on the top portion of the riser designed to allow the bow to be hung directly from a tree limb. But perhaps more interesting is the Cam Lock system that allows you to change out the bowstring and cables without the use of a bow press. The 32 ¼- dual cam Mamba M6 features 6 1/8-inch brace height, APA’s new HE (High Efficiency) 3 stage limbs, weighs 3.8 pounds and carries a blistering IBO speed rating of 355 fps. MSRP: $899

awww.americanhunter.org_home_carousel_images_bear_archery_anarchy_bow.jpg
Bear Archery Anarchy: One of the fastest bows available this year comes from one of the country’s oldest bow makers. The new, 35 ¼-inch, single-cam Anarchy features the company’s new Flat Top Cam, which, when I shot it on the practice range, impressed me with both its smooth draw cycle and solid back wall, as well as a 7 ¼-inch brace height that makes it easy to shoot accurately. Bear has added a new customizable grip, 4X4 Roller Guard, Dual Arc offset String Suppressors and Max Pre-Load Quad Limbs. The Anarchy has a mass weight of 3.8 pounds, and an IBO speed rating of 340 fps. It has 80 percent let-off and can be adjusted from 25- to 31 ½-inch draw lengths. MSRP: $899

awww.americanhunter.org_home_carousel_images_bowtech_insanity_cpx_bow.jpg
BowTech Insanity CPX: BowTech has established a reputation as a very innovative bow maker, and with the Insanity CPX the company unveiled a new flagship bow that combines the top features from two of its more popular high-performance bows—the Destroyer and the Invasion CPX—to “unleash the insanity.” When I shot this bow it was as stable and recoilless a bow as I have shot in a long time despite its high-performance features. The 32-inch dual cam Insanity CPX comes in draw weights from 50 to 80 pounds, has a mass weight of 4.3 pounds, 80 percent let-off, 6-inch brace height and IBO speed rating of 355 fps. There is also a CPXL version that’s 35 inches axle-to-axle with IBO rating of 340 fps and 7-inch brace height. MSRP: $999

awww.americanhunter.org_home_carousel_images_darton_archery_3900_compound_bow.jpg
Darton Archery DS 3900: New to the Darton lineup for 2012 is the DS-3900, a compact version of the Darton Flagship DS-3800, but uniquely different in many ways. The DS-3900 has a new, lighter riser equipped with EET Laminated Quad Limbs to power the latest design DualSync Cams—a unique Darton cam design that includes a second let-out groove on each cam that anchors the opposite end of each power cable instead of anchoring it to the axle—for both maximum speed and efficiency. A compact 32 7/8-inch axle-to-axle, the DS-3900 has a comfortable, well-balanced feel in the hand. The DS-3900 features an aggressive draw cycle and super low 5-inch brace height, weighs 3.9 pounds, has draw length adjustments from 24 to 30 inches, an 80 percent let-off and draw weights from 40 to 70 pounds. IBO speed rating is 355 fps. MSRP: $950

awww.americanhunter.org_home_carousel_images_elite_archery_answer_bow.jpg
Elite Archery Answer: Elite Archery has been in business seven years now, and has become known for smooth-drawing speed bows. The Answer is no exception. This 33 ½-inch axle-to-axle bow weighs 4.1 pounds, and its most impressive feature is the new redesigned twin track cam with two module options. The Smooth Mod is easy to draw with an IBO speed rating of 330 fps, while the Speed Mod is a bit more harsh to draw and shoot but offers another 10 fps to the speed rating. Modules are available from 27 to 30 inches in ½-inch increments, and draw weights from 50 to 80 pounds. MSRP: $870

awww.americanhunter.org_home_carousel_images_g5_prime_series_centroid_bow.jpg
G5 Prime Series: G5 is best known for its Montec broadheads, but its bows have also earned the company some loyal shooters. The Prime series attacks a problem that many in archery have been discussing for some time—cam lean, which describes cams that slightly lean one way or the other when the bow is drawn, and is something that can affect both consistency and accuracy. G5’s Parallel Cam Technology balances the load equally on both sides of the cam, which both eliminates this issue and reduces horizontal nock travel. The hot bow in this line for 2012 is the Shift, which weighs just 3.5 pounds and is only 30 inches axle-to-axle. Also featured are forged 7000 T6 aluminum riser, C-1 Laminated Limbs, a TI-Glide Titanium Flexing Cable Guard System, draw lengths between 26 to 30 inches, 7-inch brace height, Gore Fiber String & Cables and an IBO speed rating of 333 fps. MSRP: $999 (Pictured above: Centroid Model)

awww.americanhunter.org_home_carousel_images_hoyt_carbon_element_rtk.jpg

Hoyt Carbon Element RTK: I love Hoyt hunting bows, and for the past three years I have bowhunted pretty much exclusively with the company’s Carbon Element line of high-end bows. The 2012 version—the Carbon Element RKT—ups the ante by incorporating the new Rocket (hence the RKT name) Cam, a totally new Cam that is the company’s fastest, smoothest version yet. Also upgraded this year is an improved Roller Guard and new Pro Lock X-Lite limb pocket system. The bow weighs just 3.6 pounds, has a 6 ¾-inch brace height, is 32 inches axle-to-axle, has draw weights of 50 to 80 pounds, a draw length range of 24 ½ to 30 inches and IBO speed rating of 330 fps. Another cool feature is the Silent Shelf, which pads the riser shelf to eliminate any noise from drop-away rests or carelessly bumped shaft, and an offset stabilizer bushing that helps counterbalance bow sights and bow quivers. This is one outstanding hunting bow. MSRP: $1,399

awww.americanhunter.org_home_carousel_images_limbsaver_proton.jpg

Limbsaver Proton: Best known for its superb vibration-dampening products, Limbsaver also builds some fine hunting bows. This year’s 32 ½-inch Proton is one example. It features a super reflexed riser—which helps make it very shootable—and a new load-leveling H.E.A.T. cam system that moves the cable string track to the other side of the cam, which pretty much eliminates cam lean and torque. A new seven-position Posi-Lock limb poundage adjustment allows you to adjust the poundage by simply turning the fulcrums to one of the seven positions using the provided wrench—a great system and one that also allows for draw poundage adjustment without affecting bow-tuning parameters, which means you can adjust the bow in the field and it will remain in tune. The Proton has a 7-inch brace height, weighs in at 3.8 pounds and has an IBO speed rating of 330 fps. And as you might expect from a company that specializes in noise reduction, vibration and noise are essentially nonexistent. MSRP: $899

awww.americanhunter.org_home_carousel_images_martin_archery_bengal_pro.jpg

Martin Archery Bengal Pro: Gale Martin was one of archery’s true pioneers, and Martin Archery continues that tradition today with high-quality, reasonably priced hunting bows like this year’s 31-inch Bengal Pro. The bow has Four Vortex Vibration VEMs in the riser, giving it a “can’t miss” look, as well as 7-inch brace height, a new Fury XT single cam that can be adjusted from 24 to 30 ½-inches and an integrated adjustable draw stop that makes fine-tuning draw length easy. It weighs in at 3.8 pounds, has an 80 percent let-off and an IBO speed rating of 330 fps. It has the company’s Quik-Lock stabilizer mount, Roto Cup Pivoting Limb System and Silent Hunter Arrow Shelf. I found this bow easy to shoot and very quiet. MSRP: $449

awww.americanhunter.org_home_carousel_images_mathews_heli_m.jpg

Mathews Heli-M: Though the company does not exhibit at the ATA show, no report like this would be complete without featuring Mathews Archery. Mathews’ 2012 flagship bow is the Heli-M, a takeoff on “helium” to emphasize the bow’s light, 3.5 pound overall mass weight. Weight was shaved off partially by using the new Geo Grid Lock Riser, which features squares that follow the riser’s contours. Also lighter are the bow’s Harmonic Dampers and new Reverse Assist Roller Guard. The bow has an axle-to-axle length of 30 inches, draw weights between 40 and 70 pounds, 80 percent let-off (65 percent module also available), 7-inch brace height and shoots like a dream. MSRP: $959

awww.americanhunter.org_home_carousel_images_mission_archery_riot.jpg

Mission Archery Riot: 2011’s Mission Archery 28-inch long Craze was the first-ever hunting compound (albeit for the youth market) that offered a draw length adjustment between 19 and 30 inches and draw weight adjustment from 15 to 70 pounds without changing limbs on cams or a bow press. I am not making that up. For 2012, the Riot does the same thing for adult hunters. It is 31 inches axle-to-axle, weighs 4.3 pounds, has a 7-inch brace height, 80 percent let-off and can reach IBO speeds of 310 fps. It also has a Zebra Hybrid bowstring and Dead End string stop for quiet shooting. I have shot one, and this thing is no gimmick. MSRP: $399

awww.americanhunter.org_home_carousel_images_pse_dream_season_evo_7.jpg

PSE Dream Season EVO 7: Pete Shepley is one of the archery industry’s great innovators and has never been shy about touting fast compounds, and with an IBO rating of 345 fps, this bow is fast. When I shot one, though, it was the smoothness that grabbed my attention. The bow is 32 ¼ inches axle-to-axle, has a 6-inch brace height and 75 percent let-off while weighing in at 4.4 pounds. It has peak draw weights of 50, 60 and 70 pounds, and its improved EVO Hybrid cam profile seems almost noiseless without excess vibration. Draw length adjustments can be made from 26 to 31 inches. Other highlights include Planar Flex riser, pre-loaded X-Tech split limbs, Centerlock Limb Pockets, a B.E.S.T. Raptor Grip and all sorts of noise and vibration dampening add-ons. It’s one hot hunting bow. MSRP: $849.99

awww.americanhunter.org_home_carousel_images_strother_archery_wrath.jpg

Strother Archery Wrath: In its second year Strother Archery is rapidly making a name for itself as the maker of bows designed for bowhunters—pure and simple. The Wrath is built around the company’s new Badger Cam, which helps it achieve an IBO speed rating of 330 fps—an impressive number when you consider this bow has a shooter-friendly 8-inch brace height and 80 percent let-off. The bow is 32 inches axle-to-axle, weighs 4 pounds, has a draw length range of 27 to 31 inches and draw weight upper limits of 50, 60, 65, 70 and 80 pounds. It also has a riser-mounted string suppressor, a set of No-Gloves on the bowstring and low-friction cable guard. This bow fits the hand nicely and shoots very well. MSRP: $839

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Dam you couldnt miss that target.Anyway back to hunting.Because of my arm length i needed a bow with atleast a 31" draw length.Then I had to increase the diameter of the arrow as it flexed like a banana when I released it.My arrow grouping was all over the place otherwise.
And they are some nice bow's.The amount of cam let-off is a great help if your not real strong.But you dont need alot of strength as its more technique than strength.I also used a peep sight which is spliced in to the string and then attached to the bow.I wish I never got rid of my bow but wasnt to many people to hunt with that used them here.most of my mates use a rifle.

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
I have ruptured a disc in my back... I get pretty awesome muscle spasm/cramps in my neck and shoulder if I do the wrong things... I can still shoot my bow but its a bit risky if I head out in the scrub and start climbing and crawling around. And besides, My bowhunting mate (who sounds a lot like you with the toys BTW!) is also my fishing mate, and we both have been doing more fishing than bowhunting since he bought a sweet little boat!
Yeh I did the same thing I ruptured my 4-5 disc at work,its the worst pain imaginable.12 months in rehab is not fun.

V

'vspec'

what sized arrow shaft cause a banana flex? This was purely from the tension?

I'm digging the Wrath and the Mumba m6 on this years listing

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
As the arrow left the bow because the arrows diameter was to small it flexed the shaft enough that it changed the way it went through the air.So my groupings were all over the place.

V

'vspec'

As the arrow left the bow because the arrows diameter was to small it flexed the shaft enough that it changed the way it went through the air.So my groupings were all over the place.
Yeah that makes sense
So by groupings your referring to your actual target cluster.
Silly questions... but like a sponge dude, i'm learning for the future!

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
Yeah that makes sense
So by groupings your referring to your actual target cluster.
Silly questions... but like a sponge dude, i'm learning for the future!
Yep thats it.I use to use old body boards for targets.I did a robinhood one day,I shot a arrow and it hit the end of the arrow and split the plastic nock.It didn't split the shaft which is amazing at how strong the alloy arrows i was using.They were rated at 100,000 psi.

V

'vspec'

I'm trying to kick the habit!

Dubai by the architecture

V

'vspec'

So the tube doesn't have the APA 2012 mumba yet, but these are the previous 2 years.
From what I've read and seen so far, I love the versatility this one can bring when your out there, seems like my kind of bow.
Just need to blend it with the best bits of the bear and your done! :)
[Broken External Image]:http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/as...usiness/2012NewBows/APA/Mamba M6 on trans.jpg

Logic would say the toque releasing through the frame would upset your balance from get go, however I cant comment or say ether way.
How much of an issue is this forward creep?, maybe you guys can shed some light for me.

And secondary to that, the range of motion or tilt on the bear carnage before the cams engaged was awesome. Sadly, I was expecting the same from this model.
Still, seems strong, versatile, and travel friendly with plenty of stopping power, and by all accounts smooth. One to test!