Tank Journal Archive

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Hydrogen Peroxide?
I am having a real battle with wire algae at the moment. Nothing eats it apart from long spined urchins which are detrimental to my zoas.
Any who, the lfs has suggested hydrogen peroxide applied directly to the area thru a syringe.
Has anyone had any dealings with this?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
We used to dose hydrogen peroxide to our tanks for redox, in the right doses it actually seems quiet beneficial, applied directly it am not sure if it would have sufficient contact time to act as an oxidising agent or herbicide, so I guess it depends on how they are suggesting it manages it.

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
I've used it VERY affectively by directly dosing the tank with a small amount daily - but at the time I didn't have macro algae in the sump and no clam in the tank (as clams rely on the microalgae on their mantles to feed as they draw water through their mantle, you will kill them if you directly dose the tank with one in it - My mum killed hers by using a commercial algae treatment in the tank against my advise - 1 week and her clam as gone :-(

Anyway, here's my questions and suggestions:

• Can you remove the rocks to scrub and spray them with the H202? If so, great, this is the best approach. You only need to give them a light scrub with a brush, then spray them with the peroxide (if there is nothing else on the rock, don't be shy, I've used a 50/50 water and H202 mix before on my brothers tank) I let sit for 10 minutes and popped into a bucket of tank water to rinse off and back into the tank.

• If not, how low is the algae in the tank? If it's higher up, my advice is to drain the appropriate water out of the tank and spot treat the algae with a syringe (you don't need much at all) then top back up (perfect opportunity to do a partial water change)

• If the algae is too low and you can't remove any rocks, remove macro algae from sump and as long as you have no clams or Xenia, just treat the whole tank.

It's not a permanent algae solution, but if you begin to have a problem, it can help break down the algae for your clean up crew to manage. It oxidises the algae so fast and is very affective. I found my tank did really well when it required treatment and I do recommend it for people who are struggling with something that the CUC won't eat.

Be sure to take before and after photo's if you decide to go ahead.

MY DOSAGE & EXPERIENCE:

At the time I had a 40 Litre (10 Gallon tank) and the recommended dosage from the reading I did was 1-2ml per Gallon for other people using it (so, in my case, 10mls for the tank)
BEFORE:
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_254a81a168a3202d16b2_16.jpg

I only dosed 2mls per day for 1 week for 40 Litre tank - Super low dose, but used daily

1 week after the treatment ended there was only about 5-10% of the algae left and another week later it was gone. My Coralline was not affected AT ALL and I could actually see it all, after the algae was gone.
AFTER:
amedia.use.com_images_s_2_2615bf57823341ab4273.jpg

I could not believe how much brighter the tank looked after the treatment. I actually think my corals were far happier in the 2 months after treatment than they'd ever been before, they thrived. The algae made everything appear more dull as it just sucked the light from everything.

Don't be afraid to use H202, just go slow. If I didn't have my clam (which I love and adore and am sad that it's growing too fast for my nano) I would periodically treat the tank (every 3 months, for a week at a time) to keep it looking sparkling clean. I had the most amazing clear glass for months after treatment.

Last edited:

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Than, I am hamstrung as it is on every rock in the tank. As I have some sort of coral on everything I am going to try and target the affected areas and see if it works. Pics to come.

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
Interesting have seen a few vid's/threads on this a few years back. but they were all spot cleaning in a separate bucket. didn't see 1 dosing the whole tank.

for the whole tank method is it 100% H202 or diluted?

when dosing the whole tank do u squirt the H202 right on the effected area or anywhere in the tank?

how fast is the reaction? if you dose the tank will u need to remove a bio pellet reactor along with the macro or will the reaction be done by the time it gets to the sump?

not enof info on this subject considering that a few LFS do suggest it. even found a vid with majestic aquariums selling the stuff.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I dont think you will find 100% H2O2 easily. It is the oxidizer used in rocket fuel and I believe is a highly controlled substance! Most of what I have read is based around 3% which is the most commonly available strength.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
srry to clarify. using 3% hydrogen peroxide or dilute it before addition.
You cant buy 100% peroxide as it is a controlled substance ie. Illegal to posses. The peroxide you buy on the shelf and the chemist/hardware/supermarket will only be 3%. There is also stronger ones available (5%, 10%, 15%) but I have never seen them nor have I had the need to ask for them so dont even know where to get them from.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
There is a few youtube vids on how to increase the strength, not sure on the legalities of doing so though?

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
You cant buy 100% peroxide as it is a controlled substance ie. Illegal to posses. The peroxide you buy on the shelf and the chemist/hardware/supermarket will only be 3%. There is also stronger ones available (5%, 10%, 15%) but I have never seen them nor have I had the need to ask for them so dont even know where to get them from.
Try hair dressing wholesalers

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
My local hydroponics store sells a 50% mix which is the brand and dilution which I was recomended and have seen used in the store display tank at the lfs. I have used it with limited success. Pics to come

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
20140830_212510.jpg
20140830_210956_resized.jpg
So, here is the stuff I was recomended to use by the lfs. Fifty perecnt dilution. I have wire algae. Big time! It coats every surface of the rocks in my tank. I am at the point of nearly closing it down it has gotten that bad.
Anyway, I got a syringe and dosed directly onto the algae.i used 10ml in total. The rock in the bottom pic was covered to the point where all I could see was the button corals mouth.
Initially all my corals closed as the rock bubbled away like crazy. All my corals either closed or gave a feeding response. That night everything didn't look normal. Some corals good and some not so much. The next morning all was good coral wise. After eight days the rock was about fifty percent clear. Yay! I am going to try another dose tomorrow and see if I can finish it off.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Well, after doing a couple of doses a few days apart, i noticed some corals were not reopenning. I am not sure why as there should be no long term affects. Anyway, i went into my lfs and he said to give the natural algae removal a try. He kindly donated 4 snails with different shaped shells and after two days this little guy did this!! It is not a large area but it is the first thing to even touch my algae. Needless to say i will be going back this weekend and piking up a bunch more. Sorry about the pic, he only comes out when the blue night light comes on
20140925_211031.jpg