Reef Discussion

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

Can you all please remember to be respectful to each other. You are allowed to have a difference of opinion and voice it freely, but please do so with respect.

Thanks.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Pretty tempted to just post a picture of Jessie J each time they do this now, seeing as "its not about the price tag"

awww.thetruthseeker.co.uk_wordpress_wp_content_uploads_2011_02_jessie_1.jpg

Darkspartan

May 11, 2012
Canberra
Hahahaha I have screen shots of that exact convo on my phone!

"need to have some fun in your lives, life is short" I better go smoke crack too and stick a rocket in my butt for the funsies... you know!

*shakes head*

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
So, Paula *waves to the lurker*, you see, he's doing well enough shooting himself in the foot without any input from us. Its all very well having a product for sale but if you behave like a smartarse prat to your potential client base, people won't want to deal with you.
And fwiw - I HATE not having a price to make my purchase decision on. I won't go into certain shops for that reason. I won't just grab it and stuff the cost - I have to budget down to the dollar so if its not clearly priced, I'm not buying. I'm not spending ages chasing a shop assistant to repeatedly ask for a price and I won't do it online either. If you are selling your product, name your price. If you a fair and decent seller, the price will speak for itself and sell the product. But if I get to the checkout and find the person I'm paying is an arrogant wank, I will probably still buy the product. That time. But not again.

Kenneth

Dec 16, 2013
View attachment 41940

Was browsing facebook last night when I saw a lovely picture of 4 bright coloured ricordeas for sale from an aussie online seller. They look nice I thought to myself, wonder how much they are?. Click on the picture to find that old chestnut, PM for price.

Now- I am pretty old school like this, I wont attend house auctions, will leave a store that doesnt have prices on things and can't stand this PM for price or PM your offer crap.

So I post a question, "Why not just list the price?" to which I get the response: "just to see who the serious people are from the time wasters Sam Parker"

I reply with "This makes no sense, surely having people PM you just to find out the price wastes more time?"

Then I get this chat session happening (name and profile picture edited to save them from embarrassment):

View attachment 41941

End result - my comments deleted and I'm banned from their facebook page hahahahahaha.
Following that, I had a few people private message me to say that they are sick of the games some stores are playing and that they have been 'played' recently by stores pitting buyers against each other in what is effectively a silent auction. My comments were gaining a number of 'likes' before being deleted too :) (probably why they were deleted!)

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is - if you don't want the hobby to head in this direction, let a seller know when you see them doing it. The more that let them know, the more chance we have of it stopping :)

P.S. The florida ricordeas that were for sale are illegal in Australia too. If caught with them you will have your entire tank confiscated and can do up to 25 years behind bars....
Spot on no price no sale :)

E

ezza

i am a bit too tired to be looking at unpriced sale items. i don't deal well with excessive arrogance and egotism unfortunately. it grates very much with me. i had to ban myself before i got too frustrated with one place. i have better things to do with my time.

'vspec'

Aug 26, 2012
Melbourne
haha, i love forum environments.
I tell ya all to suck on a nut, but when you suck on my finger its the same result
lookround.gif

ToxicMel

Jul 18, 2013
Hervey Bay
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to share my experiences this evening on the very same topic... On a FB group page, one of the admins, who also works at a very well known LFS in the GC posted a question regarding Ricordea Florida, asking the group members whether they love theirs, or did they not like them and why...
I made a remark that since they were illegal in this country, that Im not fazed over them or not.
The same admin then commented that from "personal experience" he knows that it isnt that big of a deal, so keeping them now wasnt an issue, and everyone has them.
I then pasted a copy of a part of this thread regarding being illegal, fines, destruction of tank, and possible jail time, only to be laughed at.
When i then said I would prefer to follow the law, and not the personal experience of a fellow reefer, the post was deleted, then I was booted from the group the post was in.
Why in gods name do we have a well known employee of an LFS actually trying to promote reefers to keep this specimen? Then delete and boot when the legality is raised?

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
I had a similar experience with a closed group recently, funny how people can be nice in a forum but on social media, total douche nozzles.

E

ezza

I was standing in a shop when a customer was asking about all the illegal things he wanted to buy. The shop assistant is a good person and fairly cautiously tried to discourage them from even considering buying the marine life in question. The guy was too thick and full of himself to care. For him it was all about the status that would come with having illegal and "valuable" things in the tank as quickly as possible. He had also only just cycled the tank and was already adding a mandarin. I think there's a certain mentality in some people and those are the ones who are in it for status or to make a buck. They'll give it up as quick as they started and don't care about conservation or the environment.

I just gave up on those groups. I value myself and my own ethics more than a club for people with shrivelled up penises and pockets stuffed with cash. It's not why I belong to this hobby.

ToxicMel

Jul 18, 2013
Hervey Bay
Just got this reply to my email...

I apologise for the delay in responding. I have discussed this issue with the Department of the Environment, which is the agency responsible for the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act). The EPBC Act establishes a list of specimens that are approved for live import (“List of Specimens taken to be Suitable for Live Import”). If a species is not on the list of approved imports, it cannot be imported into Australia. Ricordea florida is not on the list of approved species for import.

As the Department of the Environment has primary responsibility for the EPBC Act, they have requested that any matters relating to lawful possession or potential breaches of the EPBC Act be referred to wildlifetradecompliance@environment.gov.au.

I hope this information is of assistance.

Kind regards,

Emma McGrath

Technical Officer | Animal and Biological Import Assessments Branch

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks for the update @ToxicMel.

I think you will find that the argument used is that the Ricordea florida found in Australia were imported before the ban came into place - what is the status of these. It is illegal to import these corals, but is it illegal to possess them?

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Magic, I don't think you will ever get a concise answer to your question. The department will just refer you to some section of the Act, and leave it at that.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Thanks for the update @ToxicMel.

I think you will find that the argument used is that the Ricordea florida found in Australia were imported before the ban came into place - what is the status of these. It is illegal to import these corals, but is it illegal to possess them?
Difficult to prove isn't it, and you've got to wonder how many shits they give about investigating and enforcing it. In my mind the risks would be if you keep them and they somehow get into the waterways where they would grow, they may disrupt the natural balance of things. Not worth it for me or anyone really. But, people will do what they do.