Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

I got tanked!
I was very very grouchy this morning, I think I've been grouchy all week. It's all my husband's fault. Anyhoo... I was feeling so angry that I could picture lightning bolts shooting out of my eyes striking people getting in my way. I did the essential shopping trip this morning with daughter and then thought "bugger it" and burned down the freeway to Asquith, walked in the door and bought the white AR400 they had in stock! I need to have it delivered and then will start doing stuff!!

I love the boys at Asquith <3 what lovely men. I must stop going at lunch time... they always make me hungry.

Here be ye thread 'o the future tank journal.

Introduction: In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth... then in some period of time which may not necessarily have been within a 7 day time frame, and surely included scientific principles... he ticked off the "must dos" in his tank journal; water, light and darkness, sky, land, sea, sun, moon and stars, he turned the power on and set the world spinning, creating day and night. Then, God created animals on the land, birds in the sky and fish in the sea. Finally before he tucked in for a big sleep in, then a day of hanging out and watching the tank shimmer, he created mankind in his image and made man and woman rulers over the animals and plants of the earth, sea and sky. God then encouraged every living thing to procreate and multiply (Genesis 1 : 1-7 paraphrased ;)) Awesome!.........

Some time has passed since then... but I do so love being able to care for animals and I really enjoy seeing the beauty of this world around me. I suffer from depression, as I have said in my intro thread. I am often really highly stressed and need to find ways to relax that are deeply meditative and calming. I grew up in quite an odd family situation. My Dad died in March 2012 at age 91. He was an Anglican Minister in the Sydney Anglican church, working as a hospital chaplain for 40+ years and was an astonishing man. Everyone loved him, he was loving, gentle, gracious and so kind. He was awarded an Order of Australia medal and ANZAC of the Year award for his selfless work caring for others for so much of his life. He had developed Alzheimer's Disease and died from Melanoma. The last few years before he died were really hard for the whole family, which put added strain on our relationships. Oddly enough, my Mum is not a Christian (a person who has accepted Jesus as their saviour and lives according to his teachings found in the bible. I'm not a "bible basher"... I just read it because it comntains truth, peace and love and yeah I'll chat about it if anyone wants to, I am just a normal person, I have normal conversations too, and I won't bite) and was a lot younger than Dad when they got married. She treated me in such a way when I was growing up that it caused me significant kinds of pain which has set off this illness I battle. Generally I am just struggling to maintain good health because my body and mind can be weak and that takes a toll on work, life and relationships.

I have been collecting freshwater fish, a chihuahua, and landscaping my front and back yards as a way to achieve health and strength. Eighteen months or so ago I finished my backyard project, which is my take on a Japanese garden. I just need to finish the interior of my little tea house/art studio... there's always general maintenance of course. I felt it was time to do something inside. I have decorated the inside of the house to the point I can get it without giving my husband a heart attack. I love my little house. I have a bit of an ugly spot in the lounge room which needed fixing. The TV bench is the ugliest cheapest thing we could buy after getting married. I have been wanting to replace it for ages because it's fairly ineffective for much other than holding the tv up. I ordered a new entertainment unit a month or so back and it should be coming in the next few weeks. With that, I have a bit of a space to fill. The realisation that there is going to be a whole wall empty, which is one of the first things anyone sees walking into our house, made me think that it would be perfect for a white trimmed fish tank. The wall behind it is very dark and it needs something to lighten it up and provide a feature other than the TV to draw focus. I am increasingly becoming irritated with the TV. I don't like many shows, but I turn it on too much for background noise...

So I will put my Aqua Reef 400 against the wall to feature in the room as a meditative and beautiful living art installation. I am sure it will help me feel calmer and all of us to relax.

I have a deep love for science- particularly earth sciences like Meteorology (my husband is a Meteorologist and we met through this shared passion), and Geology. Unfortunately I am better at humanities than maths... so I am currently a public servant enjoying my hobbies at home.

Reefing Since: NOW! (July 2013)... unless the last year of reading counts.

System Objectives: To slowly and loving create a healthy and beautiful reef. If possible, I would like to stock it with aquacultured livestock. If I can't source frags and AC fish, I will carefully choose livestock that hopefully can be labelled "sustainably sourced". I have loved reefs for as long as I can remember. From age 7 I had a desire to visit the Great Barrier Reef and I just don't want to be responsible for destroying these incredible ecosystems in a time where life is so often teetering on the brink.

Type of reef: Mixed Reef, nothing too hard.

Display System: Aqua Reef 400L in white

Initial Fill Date:TBA. Hopefully by the beginning of August 2013.

Display Tank Dimensions: 132W x 52D x 73H cm

Display Lighting:Standard T5s to begin. Down the track I'll switch to LEDs.

Stand: Standard

Hood or Rimless: Hood included

Sump Design: TBA

Filtration: TBA

Support systems: TBA

NSW or ASW: ASW most likely. I'll consider NSW but I need to think it out.

Display Water circulation:Probably a Tunze something something

Return Pump: TBA

Skimmer: TBA

Evaporation Top Up: TBA

Chemical additions: TBA

Calcium Addition:TBA

Alkilinity Addition:TBA

Magnesium Addition: TBA

Prodibiotics Addition: TBA

Coral Food Addition: TBA.. I did buy some Red Sea products in a pack from Reef Secrets some time ago during a Sunday night auction. Time to read the packs closely :P

That's it for now!!
Thanks everyone for helping me get to this point. <3<3<3

Last edited by a moderator:

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Good on you, ezza!! That's fantastic that you're doing this for you! I wish you a happy, healthy, stress-free reef :D

E

ezza

Thank you so much :)

Any friendly, non murderous reefers are welcome to drop in for coffee once she's up and running.

E

ezza

The brown wall is where the tank will go. My DVD cabinet used to be in the centre, but I moved it to the side.

image.jpg

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Lots of estrogen floating around in this thread lol

That's a nice size tank too plenty of space to fill with coral! Keep us updated!!

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
I need to say something "oestrogenous ' to you @Sarg but it's too early in the morning to think

Looks like the tank will be going into a nice spot @ezza Will definitely be watching this thread

E

ezza

I am crossing my fingers and hoping that the guy who is meant to be delivering my tank is actually going to do it. Otherwise I've got no idea how to get it home. It probably fits in the car, but it'll be heavy and I just should not at all attempt to move it as I have a bad back.

I spoke to this guy at the shop who does their deliveries and he said he'd ring me the following day. That of course did not happen. I and him twice, first got voicemail, second he turned the phone off o_0.

I sent him a text message this evening just asking him to at least give me a hint that he might not want to do it so I can think of other options. I don't have any yet... But I guess I'll get back in contact with the aquarium. I don't particularly wish to pay this bloke anything after he's stuffed me around. *sigh*

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
That's crap! Is it an independent company who's delivering it? Or just guys from the shop?
If it's the former, I'd be telling him that his services aren't needed and hire "two men and a truck" or something.

There is NO way - I repeat, NO WAY - that you could move this yourself, ezza. We've had to play musical chairs with THREE of the AquaReef 400s and it takes TWO STRONG, HEALTHY MEN to lift the tank and they both complain MIGHTILY afterwards!! (And complain of pain the following day!!!) So don't think for one moment that you'll me managing this one on your own.

I would imagine that the shop should be able to help you out? Most places offer delivery of some description?? Just make sure that you either have the space ready for them to move it right into, or that you have some strapping young lads worded up that they'll be helping you out!

Good luck!
Bek :)

E

ezza

It's a "straight in the door" type job. I messaged Mark at AA and he'll help work something out. If I need to I'll look into 2 men and a truck, it's a good idea and would possibly work.

E

ezza

I got a call yesterday from the delivery guy I had so much trouble contacting and he apparently was out of range all day on Friday... Anyhoo... He is picking it up tomoz night and dropping it here Thursday morning first thing!

Joy joy *does the snoopy dance*

Still haven't told the husband... But I did make him king island eye fillet steak with red wine jus and roast veges on Monday night and a seriously good dessert to follow ;)... Again tonight with different goodies... So hopefully he's happy enough..