Tank Journal Archive

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I had two clams do this with in a matter of weeks. Took about a week for them to die. I still have no idea what caused it, both were on the sand.

Jimsim

Nov 9, 2013
NEW SOUTH WALES
I lifted mine abit higher off the sand by putting a few rubble pieces in the middle (Bottom) area of the clam, so the ends of the clam were not touching sand but just above so it could fully extend, all the best :(
James

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Mine looked the same before it perished. It maybe to late but lift it and see if anything is underneath. Mine had moved onto a patch of Zoas and I believe it got stung by them. I spoke to acro al about it given his into clams these days and he said he had lost one that got stung on the byssal by a torch coral.

Fingers crossed!

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
Hoping it pulls through - I just love my little clam, I'd be so devastated if it died.

My suggestion (an uneducated suggestion, but my only instinct) would be to prop it up onto some rubble also. I'd try to have a gook look underneath it and inside it to check for pests and just hope for the best.

Fingers crossed for you :-(

Ben S

Apr 9, 2013
Point Cook
These clams are more often found on the rock work rather than the sand. A trick I used is to get a empty oyster shell, place the clam on that and then you can move it around different parts of the tank to see which is better. I've always put my clams on the rock work and not the sand bed. It maybe worth putting it onto the rock work, just be gentle when pulling it up that you don't tear the foot.

Ben

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Bristle worms get into them from underneath and can cause this. They usually have vacated by the time you notice and start looking for an explanation but the damage is already done.