Reef Discussion

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
You got any more info on the purple LEDs at all, Nils? I've been waiting to see these for a while now. The new units look like the designers have taken stock of the suggestions and produced something nice - be interesting to see how it bears in action.
Id be interested on this as well , I know they where trying to base it on the Fuji Purples , But thats about all i know about them .
Would it be a tall order to assume Par close to the Aqua Illumination SOL Blue ? both use XP-E and XP-G LED's i think
Both now have 70 degree optics ,

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
Hello nOrk,

From what I believe , the purple lights are a combination of red and blue. They are not like the near uv light at 400 nm.
The colour produced by these specially created purples is said to be gorgeous. I cannot wait to see the rendition myself too.Apparently even fish colours are said to look better from these new purples. It must be the red that would bring out these colours.

As for PAR and PUR it is said to be 2.5 times stronger than the Blaze model.

The new programable controller should please those looking for an advanced led fixture.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
A true "purple" spectrum would have major peaks of around 430-465nm and 630nm, and probably minor peaks in the cyan (505nm) and amber (590nm) most likely, it'd be interesting to see an SPD analysis if they ever release one (if there's one lingering around and you don't want to post it in public, are you able to PM me?).

Rendition wise I imagine they'd introduce a very nice dimension to the fish that a regular mix won't - I always found this effect in using a either ProColor or a GE 3000K T5 tube in my mixes that it highlighted fish just like real sunlight does. I dare say you'd find an increase in pink pigmentation in Scleractinians out of it as well, the strong red would encourage the development of quite a few pigment clades that a lot of LEDs can't quite strike.

Look forward to see it in person.

I can see the prices for the master unit on your site, but what about the slave unit prices. Also how many slave units can be linked with a single master unit...?

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
Hello pete and everyone,

This news is about the lights is hot off the press.
The lfsdirect website has not yet been updated.
Prices have not been released too.

The reefuge gets the exclusive scoop until some of these Advance units have started filtering into Australia. (excuse the puns)

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
A true "purple" spectrum would have major peaks of around 430-465nm and 630nm, and probably minor peaks in the cyan (505nm) and amber (590nm) most likely, it'd be interesting to see an SPD analysis if they ever release one (if there's one lingering around and you don't want to post it in public, are you able to PM me?).

Rendition wise I imagine they'd introduce a very nice dimension to the fish that a regular mix won't - I always found this effect in using a either ProColor or a GE 3000K T5 tube in my mixes that it highlighted fish just like real sunlight does. I dare say you'd find an increase in pink pigmentation in Scleractinians out of it as well, the strong red would encourage the development of quite a few pigment clades that a lot of LEDs can't quite strike.

Look forward to see it in person.
Hi nOrk,

I have recieved the SPD analysis, the main Lamda-P peak is at 620 and 450-455nm. The minor peaks start at around 540nm and finish up at around 680nm.
The bin that has been chosen suits the blue lights perfectly however on its own looks a bit too red. I will email you the SPD later.

Thanks

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Cheers for the info, Nils. All in all it looks pretty promising and I look forward to seeing it on Greeny's tank.

fongyfong

Aug 21, 2011
Yeah they are bright saw this at kims aquatics , one 2 foot one should be enough but they are pretty overpriced 1386 for a 2 foot one.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Go the 2 foot new model alc with optics, that gives you a fully controllable unit, they also released a polar led model with alc that is a lot cheaper

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
Hi mate, How many slaves can be linked to a master ?
Hi luke,
A master can control eight foot of lights, therefore if you had a two foot master you can connect 3 two foot slaves to it.
Illumagic are looking at expanding this....

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I was also curious about the new master and slave. When are the rrp of the polar units being put up? Cheers

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
Good news is that a two foot unit (M-60)will be good for a three foot tank, one of the tests carried out has been a M-45S over a 90 cm tank (LPS tank) with good growth results.

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
I was also curious about the new master and slave. When are the rrp of the polar units being put up? Cheers
Hi Matt,

The factory has been flat out producing these models for the american trade show MACNA. They are producing the aussie order this week, prices have not been sent out yet. There is a good chance we will all find out as soon as our order lands in oz in the next week.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I'm sure that there are a lot of people waiting for prices of these "cheaper units"
Have any growth thests be done comparing them to the Cree units.?

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
I'm sure that there are a lot of people waiting for prices of these "cheaper units"
Have any growth thests be done comparing them to the Cree units.?
Let me get that answer for you, I will get some photo comparisons up asap between the cree and polar. And some PAR tests.....