Reef Discussion

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Ordered my Blaze Advance M-120S today from Bunarong Aquarium in Frankston for $1,820. On leaving the shop after also spending $150 on a neverending bucket of salt my car wouldn't start and I had to go spend another $100 at Repco for a new battery, lol! This is my most expensive purchase after 4 years in the hobby, I've always done it on the cheap so its time to get serious. Going to look lovely on my tank!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Ordered my Blaze Advance M-120S today from Bunarong Aquarium in Frankston for $1,820. On leaving the shop after also spending $150 on a neverending bucket of salt my car wouldn't start and I had to go spend another $100 at Repco for a new battery, lol! This is my most expensive purchase after 4 years in the hobby, I've always done it on the cheap so its time to get serious. Going to look lovely on my tank!
Did will love the light ;) see my tj for pictures .
What made you go for the Sps model?

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Just looking ahead to what I would like to keep - I don't think I will ever go an all sps tank, but I plan on keeping some anemones and other corals with high lighting needs, maybe a clam eventually as I love inverts. The corals I currently have will all do well under this light.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Just looking ahead to what I would like to keep - I don't think I will ever go an all sps tank, but I plan on keeping some anemones and other corals with high lighting needs, maybe a clam eventually as I love inverts. The corals I currently have will all do well under this light.
I have the c model and keep Sps under it fine. I like the more blue look rather then the white look.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
So you would recommend I get a c model instead? Its not too late for me to change my order. My tank gets lots of natural light coming through laser light in the ceiling so I do like that 'natural sunlight' look. The one on display that I had a play with was a c model and I liked it very much. There was no s model to play with - I think Cozer's basement tank video on youtube has an s model over it?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
His basement tank is a c model, his frag tank is a s model. It depends Realy (they are different model illumagics to lacking the optics and new purples etc)
Personally I would allways go for the c model as it is spot on for the colour temps I like (16k look) I actualy don't even run my whites on full on the c model to get it abit bluer,
Personally I like the look of the corals Realy glowing and I find more blues helps achieve this

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Coral growth is based on alot more then just light. The light is the lower end of importance good water quality and stable parameters are far more important :)

I'm saying that the illumagic people believe the s produces better growth. I would still go with the c tho :)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Found this info onlline:
"Illumagic M-90S tested in Brisbane recently gave the values of up to 400 PAR
and consumed a mere 100 watts to achieve this.

A M-90C recorded the value of up to 290 PAR with the same power consumption.
These figures were achieve out of water at a distance of about 750mm."

So I think I will stick to the s model. Nice tank btw!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hi Megan,

Those figures are refering to the ALC of last generation. The new silicone optics on the Advance will improve those figures by 100 percent maybe more. Looking forward to some PAR tests soon.

PS what are your tank dimensions?

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Tank dimensions are 4x18x18 or standard 4 foot. Brett from Bunarong is on the phone ordering my light right now so any last minute advice?

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
Both S and C model would be fine for your aquarium of those dimensions, It is a matter of colour preference now really.

If it is rimless design , choose the 12 cm legs. The euro brace legs cover the measurements of 6, 9 ,12 cm in height.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
if you like the sun white temps go the s model as it is 2w led per 1b led. if you like the coral colour to pop all the time and the bluer look go the c model what is 2b to 1w

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I've gone with rimless legs due to the design of my tank bracing which I will use initially, but I plan on hanging the light as I prefer the look of it and it keeps the light free of salt creep - I'm thinking of hanging it on a pulley system as being able to raise or lower it for tank maintenance would be great

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
with the 12cm legs you wont really get any salt creep, its not like it matters anyway on my frag tank illumagic i have salt spilt all over it. i just wipe it off. not a hint of rust or corrosion and i have been using it for months. the leds are protected by glass and the heat sink itself is anodised

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I have both the C and S models , They are both very nice , I wouldn't worry too much about which one you get mate ,