Off-Topic

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Imported cars
Looking at a nissan S15 Silvia,
has anyone else imported cars ? i need to findout the guidlines i need to follow etc etc to make it legal here in australia

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
gday Matty!

mate I had an imported 85 skyline for a couple of years, loved that car! mate, if I can, would you consider one of the other Nissan types? Silvia can be a very rough ride and they crunch on bumps a fair bit too.

the 180sx and 200sx are great cars and are just as good looking as the silvia and arent anywhere nears as rough.

one major prob with imported cars is fixing them. I had a minor crash in my skylike into the gutter (drifting) and bent the wishbones on the front and rear. to cut a long story short it cost me around a grand or a bit over to fix it and the parts for the front come out of a 91 skyline and an older gazelle (i beleive it was late 80's).

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
second option was a r33 GTS. although they are getting a little old and like the features of the S15. the S15s a more modern car, more features plus its a 4cyl and not super thirsty on fuel if babyed

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Love my imports, currently own a 1984 DR30 skyline (imported myself under the pre '89 compliance laws, simple as) and an S13 silvia which I bought locally, and as you might be able to make out from my DP I nav for a mate in Tarmac rally Evo 6, kinda went backwards into a tree at 100kmh in that pic though :D

I know a few people who run import businesses, since the S15 is 2000+ release it will need to come in under RAWS compliancing. Kristian at Iron Chef imports is the man to speak to, he's based in Adelaide but his prices are extremely good and the quality of cars he brings in is top notch, and gets cars sent all over Aus

this is a basic run down of the importing process
http://www.ironchefimports.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=31

and S15's crap all over R33's

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
I didn't have any probs on fuel with my skyline, it only cost around $40 to fill up and I could drive it to work and back everyday, get to training 4 nights a week (afl) and game days and still have a bit left over after 1o-14 days. it was registering around the 600-650 km per tank (apart from when it would get a good thrashing).

dont get me wrong I dont mind the look of the S15, they are a very sleek. but as I said before if it breaks down, you might run into trouble somewhat finanve wise anyways.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
what price am i looking at? pref under 20G
I dont keep much of eye on prices as I haven't bought a car for near on 7 years now, however a friend of mine bought a nice clean standard local S15 about 2 years ago for $19,000 so I reckon it should be easily attainable at the moment. Especially if the market over there is anything like SA used cars just aren't selling so people are dropping a heap off of there prices

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
it is amazing the differences in used car prices all over the state. being from SA myself I used to be able to pick up a great car for around 5k. now I am up in queensland a used car is rediculous, and care has to be taken as where I am is a semi rural and all the dirt and sh## gets caught up in the chasis and begins rusting. but a 5k car down in Adelaide, would be upwards of 8-10k here in the widebay area.

Matty, would you consider a 180sx or 200sx? they are brilliant cars and go like rockets with little work if any (usually it has been done already). the 180sx is a tad more expensive than the 200 but they both have good pros and cons. I really love the 180 great shape and style. the prob is the 180 is usually more than the 200, reason I dont know. cheapest I have seen a 180 is bout 18k, 200 around 10-12k.

Im sure a little research you can find the specs and compare them, but for what its worth I would go either the r33 (or 34 if you have the coin) or the 180 or 200.

its tough finding a car your happy with. I cant justify buying a car like this any more with kids, the best I might get is a pimped out Tarago :eek:LOL
one thing I am concerned with is if I do get a tarago with more seats the missus might want more kids :eek:............ I think its time to get the snip hahaha

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I thought I'd chuck up a pic of my money pit. Haven't driven it for about a year but dont really ever see myself selling it too much blood sweat, tears and dollars poured into it with way too many memories.

it's been through a few phases, but purple is how it sits now and grey/black was when I first bought it
[Broken External Image]:https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...9/94/728776055/n728776055_2116288_4784874.jpg

and of course the dodgy engine shot it's definently not a thing of beauty but it's built for about 300rwkw I just skimpped on the turbo a little and is holding it back
ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x146_DR_JOSHUA_motor_now.jpg

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
It's a DR30 ;)

I dont drive it because the laws here in SA are ridiculous these days. Driving this on the street I would get defected within the hour with the possibility of impoundment and we have no such thing as engineering cars with mods like this, so it would leave me with a useless worthless hunk of junk, I originally took it off the road a few years to mod the crap out of it back when the laws were way more relaxed and there wasnt so much media hype over "hoons". As for track days here they are few and far between (once a month if we are lucky, not that I could afford them at the moment) and no drag strip at all. Adelaide is crap when it comes to the car scene these days it really is the nanny state it's rather depressing

If I wasn't so tied down with a business and house I would be living in QLD by now for sure, you guys have it awesome

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
could you get a shot of the back mate? is this the import model with the donut tail lights? (in later versions they filled it in, but in the earlier versions the rear tail lights had a circle of no light on them) dont know if that sounded right.

this is how mine looked, I didn't draw anything but the tail lights. I had the older 2.6L

Attachments

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
lol, maybe. up here there are pretty tight rules too. I dont know if you need roadworthy's down in SA now but up here ya do. and if you dont have the right person doing the inspection it could go on forever trying to get things sorted. luckily I know a good inspector and he looks over things with his eyes half closed sometimes. he knows that whatever is wrong it will get fixed though, he trusts us :D

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Thats pretty much it, apart from the condesation LOL. But yea when turned on they are just the ring like what you had drawn. In the early models c210- R30- R31 all the imports that had the ring lights all the aussie delivered models had the plain ordinary boring looking lights
ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x146_DR_JOSHUA_ALL_JAP_DAY_2.jpg

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
thought so man!

the one I had didn't have the lined cover either though, it was an earlier import though. finding the parts was a prick! I ended up selling mine before I come up, I wanted to drive it up here but my old man sold it on me.. really did love that car though. I ended up getting a VL commodore when I came up. that wasnt bad but just wasnt the same.

If I could get another skyline it would be like the one I had, or an R34. but like I said, probably wouldnt happen as we need more seats now

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
what mods do you have that are illegal?
It has full S13 suspension/ steering transplant, turbo, full aftermarket computer would be the main things plus a heap of other little bits and pieces. And we don't have any mod plate setup where you can get specific mods engineered, I could possibly maybe get the suspension and steering engineered which in itself would cost thousands but definently not the turbo and computer setup. The original turbo and computer were destroyed in a massive engine failure a few years back which brought on the whole rebuild, replacements for these are near on impossible to find