Tank Journal Archive

Nautynigel

Oct 26, 2014
Strathfield
In The Previous Episode...
In the previous episode

I had started back in June 2014 with an agreement from the MRS that this would be a hobby that we both enjoyed. She had previously kept freshwater fish and I had never kept either. We chipped in for the best that we knew of with the understanding that the wife would be excited to spend money on saltwater like she previously did with fresh. We got as far as a good amount of softies and zoas but the wife decided she wanted to spend an insane amount of $$ on the extended honeymoon that we didn't have after our wedding. So in May this year we trundled off over to Europe leaving our mildly experienced niece at the helm so that we could ensure top ups and glass cleans.

ai57.tinypic.com_sgqwlz.jpg

Bad news was shortly delivered before we even arrived at our final destination. Here we are sitting in Heathrow when a text comes through from the niece saying that she just completely over-filled the sump and shorted out the Radions when trying to clean things up. I talked her through cleaning up and getting everything working again. Unfortunately what I didn't know was that she had not turned back on the return pump... For the next 5 weeks, whilst we were eating and drinking our way through Europe, the display tank temperature dived down to 15 degrees and no skimmer action was happening. I came back to an almost dead tank (no corals survived) with Victor the lawnmower blenny and a few cleanup guys to salvage in the QT.

We also had an epidemic of Dictyota algae and bubble algae so I was convinced we would be better to start again. I told the wife we are not giving up so easily. Since then my tastes have also changed to a bit of SPS as well...

I have a TJ on RTAW but cannot yet post links until i get to 10 posts on here so ill come back with a link shortly.

Last edited:

Tan

Jul 4, 2015
Sorry to hear about your loss mate.

Get yourself a decent ATO.
When I go away, I get someone to just do the basic. Feed fish and empty protein collection cup.

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
Was tossing up with a Cade 1200 or my Reefer 450, although your old tank looked nice just reading your issues with setup......glad I got the Reefer, not to mention I LOVE the 5' system!

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Thats why I have said before, that we need to create a network of reefing people, who live nearby and can help when we go away. I have a few people that I know I could call on if needed and things went bad while away.
Basics of feeding is fine for the inexperienced but anything else, i just wouldn't trust, there are too many things that can go wrong.
Sorry to hear this, it sounds like your going to come back bigger and better in the long run, Good Luck.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Ah ouch, I used to house sit a lot when I was younger and had the odd mishap too. Good thing she didn't zap herself in the process. Looks like you handled it well and good on you for not giving up on having a reef tank.

Nautynigel

Oct 26, 2014
Strathfield
yeah bit worried about zapping... one thing i didn't do yet is mount the LED power boxes properly so if you do overflow the sump they are sitting down ready to get soaked....

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I've never needed automation.
And to make things worse my mrs always plans epic long holidays.
I won't get automation cos I'm old school , if my reef can't survive a six day to six week vacation then I'm a slave to it.
Well let's face it , it never looked as good as when I took six months off my real job. And I loved every minute of not working...
Time to rinse my filter sock - see ya!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Ok, I'm back , sock rinsed and put in the bucket, off to Brisbane on fri retuning monday.
Time to call the neighbours or @CodyS ???

CodyS

Sep 22, 2012
Happy to pop by Nils.

Nigel, if you got anything out of this, you now have an excuse to buy some proper lights :P Good luck with the re-build!

I fried $1200 worth of gear when I was in the US and my room flooded (not my tanks fault), so I feel some of your pain!

Nautynigel

Oct 26, 2014
Strathfield
hahaha shes trying to get pregnant now so i fear another bout of austerity measures will come soon. Time to start shooting blanks till the tank is setup and stocked...

Nautynigel

Oct 26, 2014
Strathfield
Happy to pop by Nils.

Nigel, if you got anything out of this, you now have an excuse to buy some proper lights :p Good luck with the re-build!

I fried $1200 worth of gear when I was in the US and my room flooded (not my tanks fault), so I feel some of your pain!
haha we'll see how this round goes - contemplating going Zeovit first... plenty of tanks out there getting good growth with LEDs isnt there Cody?:D