Tank Journal Archive

Peter_1988_

Dec 1, 2013
Bacchus Marsh
Aquarium1.png
I am planning on having access to the back of the tank. There is going to be a 90cm gap from the wall to the tank and it will be closed off with a door. It might be a bit of a struggle but I think I should be able to reach the bottom. My arm is about 75cm long and once I add an inch or two of sand and account for the water being slightly lower than the top of the tank it should be ok. I just don't like the look of a 2 foot deep tank when it will be around 10-12 foot long, it looks too narrow.

Also, We had the tender appointment for our house a few weeks back and we were told that our concrete slab should be able to hold the weight of the tank with no issues as long as the weight is spread evenly. It will be a H2 class waffle slab. I am still not too sure as it will weigh around 3 tonnes so will probably get a second opinion before installing the tank, however the engineer said it will be ok after I questioned it 2 or 3 times.

They have advised us also that the capped waste point cannot be put into the cavity behind the wall, it will have to go in the floor so I will put it in the corner as you can see in the diagram. I also need to decide where to put the water point and dedicated power point. I will either put them in the wall in the corner next to the capped waste point, or in the wall in the middle of the tank. Any opinions? Ideally I do not want to have cords all over the place behind the tank as I will be going behind the tank for maintenance which is why I am thinking of maybe putting them in the corner.

Peter_1988_

Dec 1, 2013
Bacchus Marsh
We have now signed the contracts for our house and finalised everything. There are only two things we decided to do at this stage and the rest can be done after the house is built.

1) The capped waste point will be put right in the corner behind the tank
2) The water point will be right next to it.

I will add the dedicated power point later on after the house is built which should be easy enough to do. I will consider cutting out a recess in the bedroom 4 wall behind the tank and putting in a power board with individual switches for the lights, skimmer, pumps, etc to keep it all neat depending on cost. It will look something like the boxes with the main power and all other switches for a house but nicer looking.

The plan was also to have either a water tank or IBC's outside bedroom 3 along the side of the house and connect them through the wall to come out next to the water point for water changes. There is one problem however; We found out that as an estate requirement we need to have a water tank installed which will be one of the slimline colorbond water tanks about 2000 litres in the exact spot I was going to store the saltwater. Either I will try and put a second tank next to this for saltwater and keep the rainwater tank or perhaps I can use the colorbond rainwater tank as the saltwater storage and redirect the rainwater somewhere else? Nothing is going to happen until the start of next year anyway so we have lots of time to think about it in the meantime...