Tank Journal Archive

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Initial setup
I have always been a fan of Nano and specimen tanks. With this in mind, thought that I would post a link to my GB Maroon Clownfish Specimen tank. This tank is only 60L in size and have been in operation for 2 years. The tank is a standard 2 ft tank. The clowns are captive bred and are approx 1.5 years in age. The anemone is a Bubble tip anemone (Entamacea quadricolour) that I fragged from one of the specimens in my main tank and is approvimately 1.5 years post fraging. The anemone (when fully inflated) is in excess of 30cm across. Also in theis tank is frags of xenia (which have come from my main tank. I grow them in this tank prior to selling on. For filtration, I have a canister filter and prior to the water entering back into the tank, it goes through a SCWD which causes alternating currents in the main tank (this is the trick to keeping anemones). The tank is skimmed by a "hang on the back (HOTB) prism skimmer which also aids in aerating the water. I have an add-on to the prism water in-take to ensure that the anemone does not get sucked into the skimmer. I also have mechanisms in place to ensure that the anemone is not drawn into the canister filter. The surface of the tank is skimmed by an add on to my Canister filter (cost approx $10 from EBAY) to ensure good light penetration into the tank. I use Calerpa taxifolia (the green macroalgae) to export nutrients and the plant is pruned weekly.

For lighting, I run three 10,000K T5 HO tubes (24W each). I have found that this combination of wavelength and wattage produces abundant colonies of xanthelle within the anemone and makes it go from bright green to brown.

While not as visually stunning as most marine tanks, this tank has allowed the GB Maroons to mature into a pair without any agression. They are very "friendly" and treat their anemone very well. Offspring from this pair will be raised with great care as both parents posess complete strips, a trait that I hope is passed on to their offspring. Just as an aside, the 2 fish in this tank are the same age. In this species, the dominant female becomes huge, while the male remains dimunitive.