Tank Journal Archive

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Initial Stand Designing & Plan
After seeing some excellent steel fabricated stands on the Reefuge by daveH and somethingfishy76, I made the decision that my stand will be steel :)

Something that I did not consider was using levelling feet to ensure the tank is perfectly level:) thanks guys for the advice.

I will be using 6 of these:
image.png

I will be discussing my requirements for my stand with a contact I have been given by daveH :)

Dimensions not finalised - included for design reference.
Material dimensions not finalised - included for design reference.

Version # 1
Box frame
image.jpeg

Version # 2
Box frame with legs raised 150mm
image.jpeg

Both versions will have the same top:
image.jpeg

I am leaning towards version 2 as it will allow a bulkhead to be installed on the bottom panel of the sump for water changes and draining of the sump.

Any feedback, advice or opinions on the 2 versions?
:)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Good designs you're working on.
Mine is like version 2 except with lower bottom frame - just 50mm 'leg' - gives you that bit more cabinet space.
You might also want to consider removing the middle upright at the front and doubling up on your front top crossbar to take the weight.
Keep the rear one in. This will give you unimpeded access to your sump. @somethingfishy76 did this and it works really great.
Good choice of adjustable feet.
Moving along nicely
Try and stretch you budget to allow for powder coating - it's the icing on the cake!!!

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Thanks for your comments daveH.
Yes, after seeing how well the stands look after powdercoating, I will definitely do mine.

I will speak to the fabricatior about the middle supports and doubling up is definitely an option.

The M16 leveller bolts are the same price as the M12. I chose the 65mm high ones as they should be more than long enough to cope with any slope that that tank sits on.

I have also condisered another idea that I have seen online with a removable walkboard.
The concept is essentially a steel section that slides into a larger section incorporating a horizontal board that is used to acces the tank.
Here is the original video:

It is such a simple idea that means no more balancing on chairs or step ladders for me:)

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
The fabricator has advised that a quote should be prepared for me the end of the week :)

I talked myself out of the removable platform as it would be difficult to seal and protect the inside of the rolled hollow section tube and corrosion could occur with all the sliding o_0. Plus daveH raised a valid point that (somehow) an accident (probably) could (and will) happen.

I have to work on the bottom rail section to accomodate the sump, as well as an ATO Reservior and the dosing containers.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Quote came back from fabricator and I am happy with the price.

Now to finalise dimensions of the display tank and work out the layout of the bottom rails :)

I also ordered and paid for my levelling feet and they should be here by the end of the week :)

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Ok, I just realised that they sent me the wrong feet :cry

These are mild steel and I paid for stainless. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to call them and deal with it :banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Ok, so I have finalised my design for my stand and it will be very close to this.

Photo taken from web:

IMG_5073.JPG

The shelf will serve a purpose that will be revealed shortly, along with it's dimensions :)

I have to wait until after Christmas break to discuss with the fabricator.