Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Interested in Violet or Cyan LED's ?
I am looking to buy some Violet and Cyan LED's from the US to cover a few extra wavelengths of my DIY LED build - these will have a maximum current of around 700mA and are likely to cost in the order of $6 AUD each.

Anyone interested in joining in?? If so, just reply with the colour and number.

Whilst this is just an expression of interest at this stage it would be appreciated if you could be reasonably confident that you would subsequently come up with the $$'s.

Cheers

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I currently have 60 LED's in total - 15CW x 2 bins + 10RB + 10B x 2 bins.

I am looking to swap out 10 of the CW for NW and 10B for 5 Cyan and 5 Violet. There is no science to this mix though ;)

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
the violet and cyan would be an interesting mix into the colour of the way the tank looks. would definately make some of the colours really pop!

maybe one day will get a DIY LED setup. am actually in the processs of a DIY cooling fan system to try and cool the tank down some. am documenting it all :D I reckon it will work out well and hopefully drop the temp down the few degrees I need it too.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
im thinking of swaping a blue for a violet on the nano Ibox. cyan is a no no from what i have read. does anyone else have information on this? would realy like to see some information

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
I currently have 60 LED's in total - 15CW x 2 bins + 10RB + 10B x 2 bins.

I am looking to swap out 10 of the CW for NW and 10B for 5 Cyan and 5 Violet. There is no science to this mix though ;)
From all I have read about cyans, I think you might find that 5 is way too many in relation to your overall number. I would probably suggest maybe 2 or 3 and even then probably only run at about 350mA tops.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
No, not yet Ken - I was looking on Saturday and have found some that are a bit cheaper, but they don't have the Cyan. Maybe looking to order early next week.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Both options were on stars - and both were nominally rated at 3W but they had a maximum current rating of 700mA from memory which means that they will draw around 2.4W.