Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
im thinking of swaping a blue for a violet on the nano Ibox. cyan is a no no from what i have read. does anyone else have information on this? would realy like to see some information
Just to catch up on this question :

I have been thinking of adding some additional spectrum for a while. A couple of things have convinced me that it is worth a try – 1) a number of higher end commercial units are new employing violet LED’s and 2) a recent article by Bernhard Jasiek in the Sept/Oct 2011 Coral magazine.

Bernhard is currently running a 6.5ft tank with the following LED combination:

• 90 Blue 50%
  • 45 White (6,500K) 25%
  • 15 UV 9%
  • 15 Cyan 8%
  • 15 Red 8%
These LED’s have been running for about 2 years so it is fair to assume that the output per LED would be less than the current generation LED’s, especially the whites.

I am currently running with 60 LED’s over my 4ft tank with the following combination:

• 30 Cool White (2 different bins) 50%
  • 10 Royal Blue 17%
  • 20 Blue (2 different bins) 33%
True UV are not readily available at a reasonable price so I am looking to try the following combination:

• 10 Cool White 17%
  • 14 Neutral White 22%
  • 10 Royal Blue 17%
  • 10 Blue (2 different bins) 17%
  • 4 Cyan 7%
  • 8 Purple 13%
  • 4 Red 7%
These numbers are influenced somewhat by the requirement to fit in with my 5 existing drivers i.e

· Driver 1 – 5 CW + 7 NW
· Driver 2 – 5 CW + 7 NW
· Driver 3 – 6 RB + 6 B
· Driver 4 – 4 RB + 4 B + 4 Cyan
· Driver 5 – 8 Purple + 4 Red

I am not saying this is going to work, and I am open to any suggestions, but I think it is worth a try.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
· Driver 1 – 5 CW + 7 NW
· Driver 2 – 5 CW + 7 NW
· Driver 3 – 6 RB + 6 B
· Driver 4 – 4 RB + 4 B + 4 Cyan
· Driver 5 – 8 Purple + 4 Red

I am not saying this is going to work, and I am open to any suggestions, but I think it is worth a try.
I'd relegate your RBs to the same driver as one another then focus the remainder of the blues/cyans on another, that way you can tune each aspect independently (a RB/B/Cyan string would look odd). Same goes for the whites. Does make placement a little more difficult, but if you can't tune them independently it does make it harder to get a good colour that's exactly how you want it.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
n0rk thanks for your suggestion - I will need to have a think about the best way to set them out.

To find the 'current' trends, I spent a few hours last night going through a number of threads on reefcentral and nano-reef - what are your thoughts on the deep red LED's (660nm)??

A popular mix at the moment is:
  • 3 Neutral White
  • 3 Cool White
  • 4 Royal Blue
  • 2 Blue
  • 1 Deep Red
There does not seem to be many useing a true violet (420nm) unlike some of the commercial fixtures??

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
I wouldn't be inclined to deep red myself, I'd rather use a warmer white as they're less inclined to miss the spectral peaks being wider band. Violet is good if you can get decent ones, though finding them isn't easy.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I grabbed a handful of tue violet to throw in the mix with my DIY LED build, we'll see how it goes anyway

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Any luck with the violet leds?

I bought 1 from aquastyleonline.com and along with 4 blue 2 x 2 different whites made a little fixture for my soon to be mantis tank and they look amazing... I have put a single morph in there and it has lit up nicely so ill see how it goes over the next couple weeks and make my judgement accordingly

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Time to resurrect this thread :)

I will be placing an order with http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/ next Wednesday evening - they have a range of LED's available, including some 'exotic' ones i.e. True Violet, Deep Red and Turquoise.

If anyone is interested in sharing some postage post with your wish list and I will see what can be done.

Cheers

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I just checked out that site and I added up my order to about 170$.... I could spend a lot more! I will speak to the minister and see if she will release the funds and ill let you know by wednesday.

PS thats a great site and even if I miss out on this order I will prob place another from there soon!

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
They look alright but are not PWM dimmable... I am building an arduino based controller and dont want to have to build another circuit to convert the pwm into 0 - 10v... I dont know enought about that to do it.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
That is an awesome site, thanks for sharing MagicJ ;) will come in handy forsome later down the track ideas I have

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I will be away tomorrow night so I will actually be placing the order on Thursday night - let me know if you are interested in anything.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Sorry its not going to happen... I have to get 2 new halides to get me through the gap before I can start the LED build :( There goes $80 from the LED budget! But it does buy me 6 months breathing room, just have to wait it out!