Reef Discussion

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Hey is it too late to get one violet ? I now own matts ibox and i want to play with the spectrum ?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hey is it too late to get one violet ? I now own matts ibox and i want to play with the spectrum ?
Not too late Josh - will do the order later tonight.

They don't sell the violets in singles though, only pairs - if I don't hear anything to the contrary I will order 2 for you. It should only cost about $10.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
yeah cool $10 is nothing let me know when the order is in and ill transfer some funds with postage of course ;)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Another change - they only have the 6 pack of violets available now. I will get one of these and you can have as many as you want. We will sort the money out when I send them to you - no rush given we are only talking $10 :)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I dont know how many youre ordering or whateven but if you ended up with an extra 1 royal blue, 1 deep red and 1 true violet I will take them off yoru hands!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Order not placed tonight as the site thought there was a problem with the information supplied - I have sent them an email to get it sorted.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
thanks for the correction Joshwaaaa I was trusting my memory rather than checking to make sure!

josh malone you should read the website magicj linked too. as joshwaaaa said if mixed with turquoise and royal blue the overall colour mix is white! I plan on using the three leds to light a 4.5L pico for my desk at work and if I like it and it works well I am considering using a mix heavy with these 3 colours on my main DT.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Vaultboy what you want red for ? You TRYING to grow algae ;)
These LED's will be driven at a low current level - they assist with the colour asthetics rather than provide the core light requirements. I agree that red light can encourage algae, but with only small numbers it should not be a problem.

This is just part of pushing the boundaries to see what works best for our inhabitants.

BTW Jack, I knew what you wanted :)

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Fair enough :) I was just going on what I read in the rgb led thread that algae like land plants utilises the red spectrum most......

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I dont really believe you need much red in a Light spectrum unless you have lots of shallow water corals, after all red disappears from the color spectrum after around 7m deep water. Any corals found deeper then this wouldn't use it in their natural habitat

aultramaxincorp.com_sites_ultramax_uploads_light_spectral_absorption_water1.jpg

in saying that, since you are using it to create a "false white" and red is such a harsh color to the eye, I wonder if you could get away with just using 1 red to every 2-3+ RB and turquoise. Would be interesting to find out

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I dont really believe you need much red in a Light spectrum unless you have lots of shallow water corals, after all red disappears from the color spectrum after around 7m deep water. Any corals found deeper then this wouldn't use it in their natural habitat

in saying that, since you are using it to create a "false white" and red is such a harsh color to the eye, I wonder if you could get away with just using 1 red to every 2-3+ RB and turquoise. Would be interesting to find out
As mentioned these exotic led's assist with the colour asthetics rather than provide the core light requirements of the corals. I am planning on having 4, driven at about 500mA, in a 60 led array - if they are too overpowering I will reduce the current or take some out.

Keep in mind that a lot of the LED development in the hobby over the past 5 years has been by DIYers trying new things. Probably all commercial fixtures 5 years ago comprised a Royal Blue/Cool White mix - now they are coming out with red, green, violet, UV etc.