Reef Discussion

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
if i get one its going on my pico which will have a blue sqaummy in it soon i wonder if it will make the already vibrant blue POP more ?

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
My LED unit for my mantis tank has the LEDS glued on with high temperature silicone.... It transfers heat really well, sticks really really well and is easy to use! I read about a lot of people using it on planted tanks but I have no long term test results, my unit however,the body gets very hot with out the fan on which leads me to believe that the silicone is doing its job of transfering the heat from the diodes to the body/heatsink.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
yeah the current setup (made by matt) has them glued in place and its doing well :cool: im more talking is cheap glue worth it or should i buy dearer stuff ?i know with thermal grease the cheap shit is exactly the same quality but dunno about glue....

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I meant high temperature silicone for making gaskets on cars etc.

like this

This is the big tube and the small one would be enough for at least 100 LEDs and is worth about half the price! This product or another brand of the same thing will be available from your local hardware store or autoparts store. I took a bit of a gamble (atleast thats how i see it) by using this glue but it seems to be working and am glad to be the test subject.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
the stuff im lookin at using is "proper" electrical thermal conduit glue but its cheap junk out of china instead of paying 15-20 for a tube locally i can pay $3 for a tube from HK

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It is up to you what you use, but from my point of view trying to save a few dollars when you have spent $100+ on your LED's is false economy - the Arctic Alumina was less than $7.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
and thats the answer im after......... local electrical shop here is a rip so ill find some ALUMINA online :worship

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Your local computer shop should have some - how many led's do you have to do??

I got a 5 gram set with the new led's but I have about half left from the last time - each one does about 40 leds so I probably won't need it all.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
like 5 at most hence why i was looking at cheaper options.... cheapest i can get alumina delivered is $16 for 1.75g tube

i would do unspeakable things for you if you chucked me some with my led when you send it;)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I know its possibly not ideal... Thats why I used it on a 9 LED unit when I build my bigger light I will probably use alumina adhesive.

It is worth noting that the silicone ticks all the boxes for a thermal transfer medium. The idea is to use as little as possible to glue it on allowing the heat sink its self to do the work, silicone will spread so thin that it becomes transparent and will still be a very strong adhesive. These silicones can have a very high metal content, normally copper or aluminium, which aids in heat transfer and will stick just about anything to just about anything else!

If I had spent hundreds of dollars on LEDs I would have used a tried and true method of mounting... Probably alumina adhesive or maybe thermal grease and screws. However with cheap LEDs I decided that it was worth the risk!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
like 5 at most hence why i was looking at cheaper options.... cheapest i can get alumina delivered is $16 for 1.75g tube

i would do unspeakable things for you if you chucked me some with my led when you send it;)
Not promising anything, but I will see what I can do ;)

And your unspeakable things are not required, or wanted :eek

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
hey magic did there end up being a spare violet ? looking to redo my pico lighting and wanna get the layout sorted out:cool: