Tank Journal Archive

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
Intro
In wall reef tank, the tank will be in the garage facing into the dining room, SPS, LPS softies etc.
Tank dimensions in mm:
L=2600
W=800
H=600

This will really be what I call a "garage journal", as I will be building a tank but also the whole one side of the garage will be for my saltwater addiction, I will have frag tanks running, growing my own phyto, artemia and rotifers etc.

I had the builder install a drain near where the tank will be and also a sink with taps for RO etc, I have had an extra 8 power points installed, Ethernet plugs put in, electrically the whole garage will run of its own circuit.

2x 1200 giesemann aurora hybrids are pre ordered.

2x 1000L IBC have been purchased

Probably going to get a metal powder coated stand, this tank will be running for a long time in it's position so I think steel will be best. I was going to DIY the stand from timber and save some good $$$ but I think the extra money will be worth it, spewing I don't know how to weld.

The tank and sump have not been made but have been quoted.

Other electronics haven't been decided on as yet as I have plenty of time. Our house is not ready yet, should be about a month away and I have plenty of other things to do at the moment, such as plan how I am going to move my current tanks with minimal stress LOL.

I will post sump dimensions shortly.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Take your time to post some updates :p haha

Sounds friggin awesome mate!! You'll have to take some pics of the Aurora's when you get them as that's what I'm getting for my tank! :D Looking forward to watching this one progress :) How's the tank going??

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
Take your time to post some updates :p haha

Sounds friggin awesome mate!! You'll have to take some pics of the Aurora's when you get them as that's what I'm getting for my tank! :D Looking forward to watching this one progress :) How's the tank going??
Dom,

All the best for you, your family and your reef for 2015.

Hahaha, I keep saying I'll do it, I'll do it and I never do it. This week Dom this week.

The auroras won't be in my posession until early March, I didn't want to buy them yet but, I bought them now since I saved apparently $1600 getting them on pre order, rather save that n
Cash now than pay it later.

The tank is going great!! I have had a couple of losses (fish and coral) which I learnt from, but all in all everything is going really good, my zoanthid garden is coming along very nicely, some Rics are making baby's like the baby bonus is back on, and everything else is the same or growing slowly. I'll write more when I have photos for you mate.

I'll be stopping past to check out your tank shortly, how's the zeovit going, should be settled in by now?

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
Wow. Can't wait for this build ! I too am looking at the Aurora. Will be following this with great interest. !
Hi Lesley and thank you for following.

The aurora will be interesting to see, I would have preferred more T5 lights in them and less led, but apparently due to heat they didn't add any more to the unit, opposed to ATI which throw in a bunch and leave the problems up to the reefer and retailer to sort out.

There design and components are top notch, plus the programmability of this unit is fantastic. That's what made me go for them. I can't wait to see what they can do over some corals

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Following also.
Love large tank bulids (very envois).
Sounds like a dream build.
Also wanted to find out about the aurora. (also concerned about tbe coverage as they are only four T5's)

Bungee

Feb 19, 2014
Following this one for sure. I'm anticipating it is going to look freakin awesome when you're done. Its not far off the size of my fantasy tank so it'll be plenty to keep me dreaming

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
Following also.
Love large tank bulids (very envois).
Sounds like a dream build.
Also wanted to find out about the aurora. (also concerned about tbe coverage as they are only four T5's)
Hi Robbie,

Thank you for following.

Yes this is a dream build, sweet dreams are made of these lol.

Originally on the house plans I made the tank bigger, then when calculating water volume I became scared and decided to tone it down to what I think will be more manageable physically and financially for long term. This tank will revolve around water changes, I am not planning on any forms of reactors or additives, just weekly or fortnightly big water changes, so I had to take into consideration water storage and water cost and ended up with what I have now.

Long term I will purchase a ute and collect my own water to save some $$$.

It is a big eye opener jumping into a build of this size, I had to look at, I can afford maintaining it now but I had to make sure I can always afford it.

With the aurora, coverage depends on what you stock, if I only wanted LPS, I could have opted for 2x900 and been ok, once sps is in the picture the bigger unit is required, also the reflectors used in giesemann are top notch and the less T5's used means the unit runs cooler so the lights are more efficient and run at optimum.

Last edited:

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Dom,

All the best for you, your family and your reef for 2015.

Hahaha, I keep saying I'll do it, I'll do it and I never do it. This week Dom this week.

The auroras won't be in my posession until early March, I didn't want to buy them yet but, I bought them now since I saved apparently $1600 getting them on pre order, rather save that n
Cash now than pay it later.

The tank is going great!! I have had a couple of losses (fish and coral) which I learnt from, but all in all everything is going really good, my zoanthid garden is coming along very nicely, some Rics are making baby's like the baby bonus is back on, and everything else is the same or growing slowly. I'll write more when I have photos for you mate.

I'll be stopping past to check out your tank shortly, how's the zeovit going, should be settled in by now?
Thanks mate, it's good to hear from you again and to know that the tank is still going and you're loving it! Definitely looking forward to seeing some updated shots of the tank and how things are going!

It's sort of settled :rolleyes I actually restarted the tank completely anew two weeks ago so it's going to be a full zeo tank from the start this time and it's a lot better for it already I think! I'm hoping to have one of those amazing acro tanks that I so frequently drool over :cum haha everything is in a tub at the moment while the tank cycle's but soon I'll be back in it better than ever!