Iodine Dosing

Discussion in 'Additives' started by IJG3145, Apr 19, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. IJG3145

IJG3145 Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Australia
    State:
    Vic
    I run softies and LPS only. I've been seeing a lot of recommendations from well known aquarists, stating that softies really benefit from iodine supplements. I've never dosed iodine myself, what are your thought please?
  2. Sam Parker

Sam Parker Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,572
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    Have certainly hear the same. I had been iodine dosing, but after my second triton test realised I was over doing it so have stopped. Would be worth a baseline triton test to see if required before dosing too much (it is very potent)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Savage Henry

Savage Henry Member

Ratings:
    +323
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    I have a bottle of it sitting on the shelf and wondering if I should give the tank a little tipple.

Any ideas on how much to use?
  4. slin1977

slin1977 Member

Ratings:
    +3,032
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    Iodine is a minor trace element found in seawater, iodine bonds easily to organic products such as activated charchoal and other water conditioning resins and is easily removed by protein skimming.
    In natural seawater the concentrate of iodide is between 0.04 and 0.06
    During the process of photosynthesis oxygen is created by zooxanthella , this oxygen can irritate the sensitive tissue of the coral causing it to shrink as it protects itself from light.
    The benefit of supplementing iodine is that iodine bonds with oxygen forming a harmless molecule of non toxic iodate thus relieving the organisim the need to shield itself from light and open up more fully.

Years ago I was fascinated with LED light and read up a lot on the topics of photo saturation and photo inhibition.
    It was at that time that I used Iodine products with success in my tank.
    By maintaining a concentration of 0.06 using a Salifert test kit I tested the effects of different LED colour spectrum on my tank.
    It was at that time the benefit of 420nm spectrum added to LED fixtures was becoming apparent as the early commercial led fixtures were simply running Royal Blue and Cool white diodes.
    Saying all that I think it's worth mentioning Potassium chloride/sulfate and keeping this at natural seawater concentration levels which I think is about 380 mg/l
    This will keep your pink / red / and some purple SPS at thier best. Potassium iodide is not the product for maintaining reds and pinks. It is more so for blues and purple.
    Saying that my LPS and zoas looked great and grew like weeds which I personally put down to keeping iodine levels up.

The products I've used in the past were Brightwells Iodion and I used it quite liberally as its dose is 5ml/ 50 Gallon to maintain iodine every 3 days.
    Brightwells Lugols on the other hand is very powerful and should only be used by advanced aquarists 1 drop per 35 Gallon daily to maintain iodine.

Interestingly Lugols is almost impossible to find in Australia , after a recent meeting with a famous distributer he said the powers that be have made it very difficult to bring into the country.

With all the products and multiple test kits and hundreds of dollars spent trying this that and the next thing I cleared out the cupboard the weekend before I left for my holiday reducing things to bare bones basics (Lugols and iodide have been kept) , I plan to write myself a instruction guide to follow on my return to keeping my aquarium.
    • Informative Informative x 3
  5. NiCd

NiCd Lead Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,679
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    We need a uber informative button :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Cheers! Cheers! x 1