Reef Discussion

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Is Aquaone sea salt any good ??
Hi all, have been offered some Aquaone sea salt at a very cheap price ! Am new to this hobby and am not sure if I have been offered it cheap because it is no good ? I have been using red sea coral pro for last 2 water changes. Can i change brands of salt ? I cant seem to find much info online about the Aquaone product ? Anyone used it ?
Thanks

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
I haven't read the best reviews about the stuff, which was disappointing bc we have some to sell too.
If you punch "aquaone salt" into Google it should bring up a bunch of threads on different forums where you can read about people's experiences. (That's how I got my info in it)
And yes, you can change salt at any time :-)
Good luck!

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I used it when I started as it was all I could get locally. By the time the tank was cycled I moved away from it. Every time I bought a box the stuff was basically a solid lump despite being sealed, and was pretty hard to dissolve. I wound up using the left overs in holding tubs full of live rock waiting for my current system to built.

The end result actually looks like AquaOne salt too - there's something about the water that just looks Aqua One. A couple of local places have done marine in the past, and there's just something that floats around in the water that tells me it's AquaOne.... and that's really not a good thing. Couldn't bring myself to put it in a tank now if you paid me!

You can changes salts - just be weary that different salts can result in variations to their makeup - some are higher in certain elements than others. Red Sea Coral Pro for example is a mix that has specific elements more targeted towards reef tanks. The AquaOne salt... not so much. It's not the end of the world, but some of those missing elements may be beneficial to your tank (depending on its contents).

I wound up using Red Sea Coral Pro until I stopped using ASW, and it is by far the superior product compared to AquaOne. There are certainly some cheaper salts out there than the Red Sea stuff, and most of them are likely to be better than AquaOne. Salts do vary, and peoples experiences vary wildly with them. Personally, I have found though that the more expensive salts I've used were typically the easiest to mix and came out looking clean rather than full of visible particles floating around my tank. My first non-Aqua One salt was Aquasonic... it was by no means cheap, but it mixed very easily and was quite clean. I then moved to a brand I can't remember beyond it being imported from Japan which was cheap and was really easy to mix and clean... then finally on to the Red Sea Coral Pro. That's when I started getting a lot of improved growth in the tank, and things started to settle.
In the middle of that I'd bought some Tetra Marine Pro salt that was on special - I think I bought about 20kg of it. Half of it was a solid lump, it took days to get it to mix, and it left a huge amount of residue in the mixing tank. There were also quite a lot of particles floating in the water. Nearly all of this was used in holding tanks like my left over Aquaone salt was (I had live rock and sand in holding containers for months!). There is a thread here somewhere about using this particular salt!

Edit: I'd also be weary of any salt thats instructions condone using tap water in the mix without any logical warnings against such a thing. That stuff is a little too eager to tell you to just use tap water... and it's information on salinities if I recall were a little bit on the way too low for a reef system.

So, in case that was too long to read: Personally, I'd be sticking with the Red Sea Coral Pro, or at least look for a salt that you can find out some positive feedback for... and perhaps has the elements in the mix listed on the container :)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I haven't read the best reviews about the stuff, which was disappointing bc we have some to sell too.
If you punch "aquaone salt" into Google it should bring up a bunch of threads on different forums where you can read about people's experiences. (That's how I got my info in it)
And yes, you can change salt at any time :)
Good luck!
Thank you for the info, no it wasnt too long to read, i am still learning and am very keen to learn. I was a bit concerned about the aquaone being so cheap, old addage pay for what you get comes into mind ! I will stick with original brand, just being new and with 1000ltr tank it is quite expensive to do 250 ltr water changes lol

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
And yes, you can change salt at any time :)
Good luck!
Thank you, it is nice to know we can change salt if need be. I was a bit concerned at the cheapness of the aquaone salt and thats why I asked. It just ends up a little expensive doing 250ltr water changes every fortnight and was ready to jump at the chance to cut cost, although that salt is probably not the place to try and save money. Thanks

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
It's a tough one really - salt water is disposable, and sadly it winds up costing you if you can't collect it yourself. Whether you make it yourself or pay to have NSW delivered to you, it costs. Depending on where you are in SA, you may be within the range of someone who can do NSW deliveries to you, so that would be a matter of getting an IBC for storage. Most of the rates I see in Vic go from around $150-250 for 1000l water delivered depending on location.

When you do a comparison to making salt water - a 20kg container makes around 600l and usually costs $100-130 so making it yourself on a per litre basis isn't necessarily much more expensive (though the massive water consumption + more frequent RO filter replacements will add up).

If you have to stick with ASW, I'd suggest sticking to the tried and tested brands, work on trying to buy volumes of it (20kg containers), and don't be afraid to look beyond local for it... places like Age of Aquariums do fixed price shipping which could be really handy when they have salt on special. At least with the best brands you know that the mix should have the elements your system needs and should bring less impurities with it.

This is one of those hobbies where skimping on the important stuff (all of it mostly) can bite you, and the water is a pretty important bit to everything ;)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
It's a tough one really - salt water is disposable, and sadly it winds up costing you if you can't collect it yourself. Whether you make it yourself or pay to have NSW delivered to you, it costs. Depending on where you are in SA, you may be within the range of someone who can do NSW deliveries to you, so that would be a matter of getting an IBC for storage. Most of the rates I see in Vic go from around $150-250 for 1000l water delivered depending on location.

When you do a comparison to making salt water - a 20kg container makes around 600l and usually costs $100-130 so making it yourself on a per litre basis isn't necessarily much more expensive (though the massive water consumption + more frequent RO filter replacements will add up).

If you have to stick with ASW, I'd suggest sticking to the tried and tested brands, work on trying to buy volumes of it (20kg containers), and don't be afraid to look beyond local for it... places like Age of Aquariums do fixed price shipping which could be really handy when they have salt on special. At least with the best brands you know that the mix should have the elements your system needs and should bring less impurities with it.

This is one of those hobbies where skimping on the important stuff (all of it mostly) can bite you, and the water is a pretty important bit to everything ;)
Thanks for your suggestions. I was looking at guppies aquariums but I am not sure on the shipping cost. Can you have 1000l delivered and store it in 5 x 200l pickle barrels ? How long does it keep for safely ? Thanks for you help by the way still learning so much ?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Guppys will hurt in terms of shipping - unless you're buying either a lot, or buying something that is so much cheaper that the insane shipping is worth it, then they aren't always the best place too look at....

AoA - they fix price at $7.50 for shipping, and the majority of salt I bought came from them as they were usually the cheapest after shipping.

200l pickle barrells should be ok as long as they're clean - if they've had food in them then its a good sign that there isn't anything too nasty in them. Plastic can leech chemicals... always worth remembering that.

If you keep it out of the sunlight and sealed up, it should last for ages. I usually get 5 months out of 1000l (that's about the drop down to probably 4 months soon). If I keep the sun off it it's usually fine. If the sun gets to it, you get a bit of algae build up. In the past I've usually just manually removed as much as possible before pumping it out, and I usually add new water to the skimmer section of my sump. When the water has been a little suspect, letting it sit in the skimmer section for a while has managed to skim out most of the crap and hasn't had any ill effect on things.
Usually the last 50l or so at the very bottom tends to get a little gross with a bit of algae - I usually flush that out and it's good to go. Once you've gone through a couple thousand litres and have a plan on how to manage it, you don't need to think too hard about it.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Guppys will hurt in terms of shipping - unless you're buying either a lot, or buying something that is so much cheaper that the insane shipping is worth it, then they aren't always the best place too look at....

AoA - they fix price at $7.50 for shipping, and the majority of salt I bought came from them as they were usually the cheapest after shipping.

200l pickle barrells should be ok as long as they're clean - if they've had food in them then its a good sign that there isn't anything too nasty in them. Plastic can leech chemicals... always worth remembering that.

If you keep it out of the sunlight and sealed up, it should last for ages. I usually get 5 months out of 1000l (that's about the drop down to probably 4 months soon). If I keep the sun off it it's usually fine. If the sun gets to it, you get a bit of algae build up. In the past I've usually just manually removed as much as possible before pumping it out, and I usually add new water to the skimmer section of my sump. When the water has been a little suspect, letting it sit in the skimmer section for a while has managed to skim out most of the crap and hasn't had any ill effect on things.
Usually the last 50l or so at the very bottom tends to get a little gross with a bit of algae - I usually flush that out and it's good to go. Once you've gone through a couple thousand litres and have a plan on how to manage it, you don't need to think too hard about it.
Thanks will make enquiries about maybe having it delivered, but will just continue to make it for the time being. You seem very experienced in these things and now off topic wondering what your view is on having a green spotted gobby (dragonet) with a mandarin fish ? Are they compatible, some lfs have said def yes and others have said def no ! so confusing. We have a young green spotted at the moment and would love to add the multi coloured mandarin fish to the same tank. It is a 1000ltr tank with 160kg of live rock and lots of hiding places ?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Thanks will make enquiries about maybe having it delivered, but will just continue to make it for the time being. You seem very experienced in these things and now off topic wondering what your view is on having a green spotted gobby (dragonet) with a mandarin fish ? Are they compatible, some lfs have said def yes and others have said def no ! so confusing. We have a young green spotted at the moment and would love to add the multi coloured mandarin fish to the same tank. It is a 1000ltr tank with 160kg of live rock and lots of hiding places ?
I've had neither fish... though I do love mandarins (but won't risk having one at the moment). That'd be a question I'd suggest starting a thread for :)