Reef Discussion

malau

Oct 13, 2011
Is it normal?
After 3 wks off a month back finally I made my tank kind of back to normal. Since I have to config my dosing pump again now I am doing daily check of those essential: Ca Kh and Mg. I found something not sure if it is interesting is before my break, my pH normally can keep between 8.2-8.4 and Ca, Kh decrease slowly throughout the week. Thats why I config my dosing pump to dos Ca daily....

However during this week I found that my KH decrease, pH seems maintain 8.1 (when check pretty much at the same time everynight after the light is on for 3 hrs) and Ca remain unchanged.... since I want pH increase a bit so I dos Aquavitro Balance to increase the pH a bit... which Im not sure if it may affect (by increasing) kH

Just wonder if Ca remain unchanged while kH decrease can be treat as "normal" ? I have a bit acro (dead) skeleton in the tank is that contribute some Ca in the tank to compensate what consumed?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
why do you want your ph above? 8?
8 is spot on,
my alk decreases a lot quicker then my calc as well so don't feel like your tank has something wrong :)

malau

Oct 13, 2011
Thanks for the reply.. coz I always have an idea about the best ph value should be 8.1-8.3 although I maybe wrong

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I go through three times the alk that i am meant to for balanced alk/ca uptake

malau

Oct 13, 2011
Thanks all. After observe for ~ 2 wks the Calcium still high however KH still drop. pH is pretty much constant between 8-8.2

Is that normal the Calcium doesnt drop / increase and remain "high" (470-490 ppm) for no reasons and kH drop ?

I assume the tester test it correctly..... Using red sea calcium test refill....