Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
But, you can understand why anyone thinking of spending lots of $'s to develop a new product would decide it's not worth it if it is just going to be copied by a Chinese manufacturer.
If Ecotech Marine or Maxspect outsource their manufacturing lab/factory to China or Thailand/India (probably more expensive than China) wouldn't it be cheaper?

Why are they expensive now? is it because of the labor cost? then the above would solve the problem.

If it's about quality, Jebao's products have not been bad so far (from my perspective) and as long as they maintain high level of QA control ... so from my easy thinking, can it not be done cheaper?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
If Ecotech Marine or Maxspect outsource their manufacturing lab/factory to China or Thailand/India (probably more expensive than China) wouldn't it be cheaper?

Why are they expensive now? is it because of the labor cost? then the above would solve the problem.

If it's about quality, Jebao's products have not been bad so far (from my perspective) and as long as they maintain high level of QA control ... so from my easy thinking, can it not be done cheaper?
Maxspect is made in China, I am not sure about Ecotech though.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The manufacturing costs are not the issue - I suspect a vast majority of the products we use are made in China. It is the research and development which is expensive - the need to comply with numerous electrical safety standards around the world and the cost of patents etc doesn't help.

These latter costs are the ones that companies like Jabeo don't need to factor into their retail price.

Combine that with the relatively small number of products sold in the aquarium industry and you can begin to understand why some of the 'name' products are expensive.

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Don't be so sorry when your favorite product is pirated. There is alot under the surface that we don't know...

Copy-cats are a reality of the globalised world we live in today and product development companies are well aware of it. Their business model has to cater for that. The ones that don't, are likely to fail going forward.
I am pretty sure Maxspect is in modern and fast paced company, and copy-cats are just one more of the challenges they have to deal.

They also benefit from it, some more than others. The Gyre, for example, is only possible because it leverages inventions from other inventors, like magnetic holders and DC variable speed pumps...
Also, the labor these companies use to increase profit margins, are likely to be the ones spawning new companies, to copy the products they were manufacturing. I have seen this happening first hand and it is quite common in China.

Bigger and mature companies still relly heavely on patents. Small and less richs ones, just accept that patents don't work and deal with it.

Hae a look at the chart of patent lawsuits in the mobile market:
a40.media.tumblr.com_tumblr_lbbvmtsJyY1qa34geo1_r2_500.jpg

I am currently develping a product which can easily be pirated, thus I am direct victim. I could cry or play with it. Well, crying isn't really an option.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Yeh R and D costs a butload and I honestly feel bad for the companies that do the hard work in the firstplace. However, Alot of the stuff that says made in Germany, Italy, USA or wherever else has most of the parts sourced from china anyway. They just assemble the final product wherever it say "made in".