Tank Journal Archive

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
It's Algaefixin' Time
So my tank is running pretty smoothly except for some bloody algae issues!! I ALWAYS seem to get the species that love to thrive in low nutrient environments while it' not on certain sections of the scape, the algae has almost taken over my zoa's and the shell of my clam and I'm just over it! Enough is enough, I'm bringing out... The Algaecide!! Now usually I'm hugely against chemicals, treatments, quick fixes and the likes but it's starting to effect my corals and I'm sick of the shit, especially the shit doesn't need nutrients (not bryopsis lol).
I did a heap of reading a research on Algaefix after being recommended it by a couple of people I trust, so after reading through the 92 or so page thread on RC I decided that I'm going to give it a whirl. A whirl I am, first dose was done yesterday morning.
The report: Maxima does not like it lol she was shut for a good little while but is completely fine and healthy and clam two did not react at all Also some of the pe on some of my acro's went friggin BALLISTIC I've never seen such a response from anything! lol All in all, first dose went off without a hitch and dose number two is happening on Friday morning

Here are the nasties as proof and so I can compare in a week or two after the dosing has been happening for a few doses! I should only need about 4-7 from everyone else's experiences with it. Keep your fingers crossed! Glorious, glorious algae!
http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Wrangy/media/Aquarium/IMG_1123_zpsnavy0wh7.jpg.html]
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1123_zpsnavy0wh7.jpg
[/URL]

http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Wrangy/media/Aquarium/IMG_1124_zpsgbwkjjls.jpg.html]
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1124_zpsgbwkjjls.jpg
[/URL]

http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Wrangy/media/Aquarium/IMG_1125_zpsm257etoq.jpg.html]
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1125_zpsm257etoq.jpg
[/URL]

http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Wrangy/media/Aquarium/IMG_1126_zps94yxe5le.jpg.html]
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1126_zps94yxe5le.jpg
[/URL]

http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Wrangy/media/Aquarium/IMG_1127_zpsngjd8uv2.jpg.html]
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1127_zpsngjd8uv2.jpg
[/URL]

http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/Wrangy/media/Aquarium/IMG_1128_zps9ngw0qie.jpg.html]
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1128_zps9ngw0qie.jpg
[/URL]

E

ezza

Wow! Dude, the bubble algae is insane! I look forward to seeing the results, I get some odd algae growing in my system on the overflow cover. I bought a sea hare a couple of months ago which has polished off the majority of my GHA. I would love to get rid of the rest though.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
A small Lo magnifica will eat that bubble if the algaecide doesn't work. There are quite a few small ones around right now and all of the collecting stations have had them on sale for the last month.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Interested to see how this goes! I haven't heard of any treatments like this for bubble algae so I think if there is one the information needs to get out there.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
WOW . . That's an impressive array of algae.
I hope you get a handle on it mate.
I do like to make sure I always have a variety of some of the toughest and most pain in the arse species in the tank at all times :P haha it's killing me!

Wow! Dude, the bubble algae is insane! I look forward to seeing the results, I get some odd algae growing in my system on the overflow cover. I bought a sea hare a couple of months ago which has polished off the majority of my GHA. I would love to get rid of the rest though.
It's not a concrete chance it'll work but I've had a few people say that it does work well on them so I've got my everything crossed! lol Have never seen any seahare's for sale down this way, maybe I'll ask :)

A small Lo magnifica will eat that bubble if the algaecide doesn't work. There are quite a few small ones around right now and all of the collecting stations have had them on sale for the last month.
I would love to add one as they're known to eat both the most pain in the arse algae's I have but I don't want to add one to the tank, even if it means a longer war! lol I have thought about it a few times though!

Interested to see how this goes! I haven't heard of any treatments like this for bubble algae so I think if there is one the information needs to get out there.
I'm interested as well, I really hope this works/helps/does anything because I would love to get this stuff under control before the move! It's because it doesn't work all the time on the stuff but I'm hoping it does haha with a bit of manual removal, boiling RO and some elbow grease I'm hoping to weaken everything enough that this just finishes it off!

Manual removal ?
Yep, for the rest of his life... :p
Definitely for the rest of my life hahaha I need something to help get on top of it/give me the upper hand!

Good luck Dom :)
You bet your ass I did :P I was drooling the whole article and the heatsink review they did on the lights as well! lol I'm going to need plenty of luck so thanks! :D

ajkdark

Aug 17, 2014
I hope this is successful for you.

Personally, I would not have put an algaecide in the tank.

It's not the way to control algae.

Good luck

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I hope this is successful for you.

Personally, I would not have put an algaecide in the tank.

It's not the way to control algae.

Good luck
Given that several of the species don't respond to nutrient adjusting and removal, there's not many other options left aside from a hard restart or other drastic measures! Trust me this was not my first option nor is it one I would usually choose but it's the only real option I have that I want to undertake!

I hope it works too