Tank Journal Archive

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
Tail Gate required for delivery! ..Isnt this kind of big and going to someones' house? :p.. How exciting... everyone who buys a brand new tank should post this..from shop to house to unpacking to setting up ..love it

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Tail Gate required for delivery! ..Isnt this kind of big and going to someones' house? :p.. How exciting... everyone who buys a brand new tank should post this..from shop to house to unpacking to setting up ..love it
Journal throughout with this 1. Been through hell with the previous tank so the excitement of this is a great feeling. Been in the marine world for only 4 months so I def want to share as much as I can. All feedback is positive and very helpful.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Exciting times!
My advice with lighting is that all types will work. However each system (LED, T5, MH) have their pros and cons.
It's hard to decide what you want out of a reef tank in your first year but if you've seen tanks online or in person you really admire consider using what they use.

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Thank you all for the replies.
Most of the equipment I'm using is from the previous set up, minus the lights.
I think I'm doing a good job of "going slow" so far. In 4 months I have purchased 2 x clowns and a Tomini Tang, my cuc and 4 coral, although I had been tempted on purchasing so many others but refrained from doing so! (The voices in my head kept telling me to Take it Slow).
Definitely going to get this aquascape how I want it, learnt my lesson from the previous disaster! :rolleyes

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Totally agree with the go slow. Take your time assembling, setting up, cycling, choosing equipment and finally stocking
Sorry for what may be a silly question but being that I am using everything bar the sand from the current tank mean that the tank wouldn't really have to go through the cycle process?

athawoot

Sep 16, 2015
Sorry for what may be a silly question but being that I am using everything bar the sand from the current tank mean that the tank wouldn't really have to go through the cycle process?
I did the same thing and didn't have any problems, just get the new tank up to temp and start scaping.

dazzamx

Feb 24, 2015
Yeah take your time.
Make sure you don't skimp on hardware for the tank or you will be updating them in a few months.
If you do it right the first time you will save money in the long run.
Also do lots of research on what sort of tank you want. SPS dominant or LPS or mixed reef. And have a good think about the live stock you wish to keep, comparable fish and reef safe.
Look forward to seeing progress photos.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Never be sorry and there is no such thing as a silly question, other than a question not asked!

What trouble did you have with your previous tank? Be worth thinking about if you want to transfer any potential issues to your lovely new tank?

Secondly, transferring sand, rock and water doesn't ensure a cycle free new tank. It can assist, but even still - the best thing you can do is give your tank as long of a cycle as possible. Every day improves your odds of success :)

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Yeah take your time.
Make sure you don't skimp on hardware for the tank or you will be updating them in a few months.
If you do it right the first time you will save money in the long run.
Also do lots of research on what sort of tank you want. SPS dominant or LPS or mixed reef. And have a good think about the live stock you wish to keep, comparable fish and reef safe.
Look forward to seeing progress photos.
Unfortunately I've already learnt the lesson and at quite the price!

100% sure I want a mixed reef which is why I am now looking at lights. I paid a fair amount for the previous light but have since been told by a few ppl that they are no good despite the price tag :rage.
I am also looking into future stocking ideas and what will be compatible with what I already have.