Tank Journal Archive

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Never be sorry and there is no such thing as a silly question, other than a question not asked!

What trouble did you have with your previous tank? Be worth thinking about if you want to transfer any potential issues to your lovely new tank?

Secondly, transferring sand, rock and water doesn't ensure a cycle free new tank. It can assist, but even still - the best thing you can do is give your tank as long of a cycle as possible. Every day improves your odds of success :)
Thank you for your reply @Sam Parker. I can't say I had major issues with the previous tank as in reality it was only 4 months old. I've had no deaths apart from a couple turbo snails and apart from the norm, (at least I think it was the norm for a new tank) like GHA early on and phosphate being a little high I managed to get all my parameters quite stable.
My biggest mistake was that I had gone to the wrong LFS, listened to their advice and paid a great deal of money for what people are telling me aren't all as good as the LFS had lead me to believe. Not to mention purchasing a tank that was way to tall to actually be able to do anything in without having to put my snorkelling gear on.
I've also had issues with my skimmer not really collecting much at all, again have been told to just "play around with it" but still can't get it to pull much out. I've come to the conclusion that this may be due to the fact that there isn't much stock in the current set up and I don't overfeed. Water clarity looks amazing atm and whilst cycling it seemed to be working quite well.
As for the new set up, I'm definitely in no rush to be stocking any more than what I currently have until I know all is stable but I have my fingers crossed that all goes smoothly as my plan is to put all current livestock into this set up.
My current LFS has offered to hold all my livestock if need be in his holding tanks.
Main priority for the moment is looking at lights. The ZetLight I currently have is 1) not big enough and 2) apparently shit so time to go shopping!
Think I may be the only mother I know who's hinted that I'd like lights for Mother's Day .

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
You may get a mini-cycle by transferring over exisiting stock (small diatom bloom etc).

Nothing to worry about too much :)

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Never been so happy to see a whole bunch of boxes in my house :)

The display itself has surpassed my expectations. Can't wait to put this all together.

Attachments

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Happy Mother's Day all you lovely mummies out there. I know I'm 1 happy mother today.

Well, Hard work and determination yesterday and I must say I love the end result.
It's amazing how the right LFS makes such a difference, not only to the look of a tank but also to its functionality and to my sanity. Not to mention RedSea's beautiful tank and stand. Can't believe how quiet it is...woke up this morning thinking there was something wrong!

Next in line next week are the Hydra fifty two HD's and then I'm sure I'll be snapping away pretending to be the professional photographer I'm not. :rolleyes

Will be keeping a close eye on all the parameters and then it's coral shopping for me :).

Happy days.

Attachments