Tank Journal Archive

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Only been running them for about two months now so early days, alot better than the aquatops that is for sure.

I had heaps of dramas getting a custom 100cm one made and we ended up going with twin brackets to stop any chance of smashing the tank with any twist.

It also only has blues in the centre at the moment as im waiting for the new mixed blues to make their way back with david from interzoo so the corals in the centre have heaps of pop and everything for the last foot either side of the tank is a bit washed out.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
There was a newborn that came on to the scene at the last update, so the ability to withstand utter neglect has been the key to any things survival. There has only been auto dosing and top ups and a glass clean if a guest comes around who is a reefer friend.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Luv it, Really like the back RH corner where it travels along the sand bed through to the front, creates some perspective of depth and is very different to the rear LHS.
Dont let that GSP onto your main rock work.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Luv it, Really like the back RH corner where it travels along the sand bed through to the front, creates some perspective of depth and is very different to the rear LHS.
Dont let that GSP onto your main rock work.
The is GSP on everything unfortunetly, I control this by moving the lobos around to have them melt it away, if you look on the back wall the GSP is climbing up there by about 15cm, I have been tempted to let it have its way and have a fury back wall.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
This photo should be used as the definition for 'Mixed Reef' :)

Do you have any clams?
There is a tiny blue stripped clam near the GSP that has turned into a blob in the photo, its funny on my iphone this looked like a really good rendition, on a PC screen it looks blued out.

I will try to an overhead shot of it under more whites.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Looks great, what are you maintaining your water params at?
I tested my water about two months back and had this massive sinking feeling like I was going to basically be confronted with reef abuse as I have not done water changes in over a year and tested in even longer.

Surprisingly 420ppm, 8 dkh, ~1200ppm and undetectable nitrate and phosphate. Sality read 1.029 but my refactomer is a bit overly keen so its probably more likely 1.027

These readings are really only a matter of good luck with the doser or maybe everything finding a natural equilibrium(?) and I am positive if I had put in any effort with water, carbon or rowa changes the tank would have progressed 10x better and be more impressive.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
So, with a fair number of fish, what are you using to control nitrate and phosphate ?
I feed basically exclusively pellet, ive never really had any loss of colour or sunken bellies or anything from it and you can probably see from the pictures they are all the same fish that gave been around for the last 5 years (except i am down to a single cromus) so rightly or wrongly I figure they are getting everything they need.

I also dose zeostart and sponge power, I think it is about 3mls per day start and about .5 mls of sponge power or something like that.

If im honest my skimmer doesn't do as much as it used to a few years back. Which i thought the whole idea of carbon dosing was to extract the water borne bacteria by skimming, as to if the soft corals are sucking it out or what, i honestly don't know but I will pull less than a cup a skimmate a month and it will generally be that green suspension like it is filtering out what you have scraped from your glass more so than that black sludge you get from you are skimming alot of fish poop.

My rocks are all fused together with sponges and my wier is a wall of sponge, so perhaps that has something to do with it as well?

Last edited:

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
It actually has these bright gold flecs through it, I am not sure how it shows on other monitors. On mine it is showing up as more of a red flec/spots towards the centre. One day I will learn how to take photos right...

IMG_13300.jpg

Last edited:

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Only been running them for about two months now so early days, alot better than the aquatops that is for sure.

I had heaps of dramas getting a custom 100cm one made and we ended up going with twin brackets to stop any chance of smashing the tank with any twist.

It also only has blues in the centre at the moment as im waiting for the new mixed blues to make their way back with david from interzoo so the corals in the centre have heaps of pop and everything for the last foot either side of the tank is a bit washed out.
Ah nice, looking at it again I see its a single light. The mixed blues will be interesting.

The flecs on the clam look gold to me! Very nice!