Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
It's Wet And Working
Finally got to the first water test and luckily there were no "Shit, quick, turn it off!!" cries.

The water test went well and the ghost overflow performed beautifully.

M-1.JPG

M-2.JPG

M-3.JPG

The plumbing all held together OK, no leaks. The gate valve on the main drain was worth it for the fine tune ability.
(The straight edge is only there for support until the back panel goes on.)

M-4.JPG

Love the duckbills, they give such a nice smooth, quiet flow across the surface.

I've never set up a sump before, so thanks to a (much appreciated) day of help from @somethingfishy76 we (he) got it running dead silent.
Over the next week or so I'll pull it all down and take the stand to the cabinetmaker.
When that's back I'll put it all back together and do the salt water fill to start the cycle.

Sterlo

May 1, 2015
Townsville
Excellent work, thanks for the updated pics, my acrylic is just in getting cut to size today for both my Ghost style and an Algae Turf Scrubber

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Nice work @daveH :)

I'll be setting up something similar in the next month or two...

The main drain - the right hand one in the pictures - what is the reasoning for the clear section of pipe? Also, this appears to be fully submerged so why the durso style top i.e. the 180 degree bend?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Damn that's a wicked slick tank Dave :D The plumbing and overflow is to die for :cum

Basically my summation is this: :cum

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Nice work @daveH :)

I'll be setting up something similar in the next month or two...

The main drain - the right hand one in the pictures - what is the reasoning for the clear section of pipe? Also, this appears to be fully submerged so why the durso style top i.e. the 180 degree bend?
The clear plastic piece is to there to show that the pipe is almost full and there are no bubbles going down the tube. This is something Dennison advised to make the pipe silent. He also advised that the gate valve be at the end of the pipe so that it controls the filling of the pipe. If the gate is at the top the water in the pipe will gurgle as it goes down.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Its all about the gag fellas...... Durso is quiet but you need to restrict the flow to fill the pipe... then its truly dead silent.
Yep, I understand that..

You restrict the flow so that the pipe is completely submerged with water i.e. no air goes down this pipe - so why the need for the 180 degree fittings on the end - why not just an open pipe ?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Yep, I understand that..

You restrict the flow so that the pipe is completely submerged with water i.e. no air goes down this pipe - so why the need for the 180 degree fittings on the end - why not just an open pipe ?
I suspect just to stop anything unwanted getting in there easily?