Tank Journal Archive

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Is there plans or a mud map of this, just looking at the above it looks pretty hardcore

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi all,
it has been a week of debates and discussions, more research and more talk on the pumps for the main return from sump, and the Closed Loop style. Nothing final yet, but in the meantime the pour of the slab had to be delayed from yesterday to Tuesday.
The special reinforcing cage was built for the tank and tomorrow the electrician will complete his conduits.
As the images will show, we have the pipes in, so if we don't need them, we can cap them.

Attachments

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Ran the Emeaux DC pump at lowest setting initially, 800 RPM, at only 35W usage. Then ramped up to 1300 RPM at 55W usage, and the flow at the IBC upstairs, was good. Tried stepping it up a notch to 1500, 2400 RPM, and the IBC was churning like a hot spa !!
The pump has 5 pre-set pump speed settings we could use, with time , and also pulse options.
All in all, looks like this pump will be able to service the volumes for both the Sump return cycles, and the Closed Loop, so we will probably use one for each, even though each will only need to run at max 40% capacity. They will also be hooked up, with unions and a valve, so in the event of a failure or need to service, it takes 1 minute to switch over. Even the one remaining pump 'could' handle the entire system, sump return and CL.
I had asked the questions, and recognize some valid skepticism about using pool pumps. Trying to keep an open mind, acknowledge that the new DC pump technology has come a long way, and trying to think out the box, I challenged them to show me what this pump can do.
I have looked at the exploded parts diagram, and all parts are shielded with ceramic or plastic, and if there were any slight leakage of salt water beyond the seals, there is a drain, so it would not leach into the tank water.

From all I saw yesterday, the pump can more than handle the volumes, pressure, head and controlability planed.
I had some good advise to look into using Abyzz pumps, and being a German I was sorely tempted, but at $ 3400 a pop, this would mean at least $ 7k to set up, and probably I will want a spare stand-by..so pretty exxey.
At this stage I feel relatively confident to go with a pair of the Emeaux. Once we get delivery of the tank, we will implement the plumbing layout planned, and be able to add the Oceans Motions valve ,m and be able to get a true sense of operating capacity, flexibility and effect to the water flow in the tank, long before I dare add the aquascape or anything living.
Guys, hope this decision has not peeved any, as I genuinely appreciate and am grateful for the advises given on the subject.
I will sign off on the tank and sump this week, and then play the waiting game for delivery. In the meantime, I am pretty sure I will have my hands full with the construction side, and am hoping to be able to get a head start on the cycle, with the use of the IBC and second one being delivered this week.
With the 'mechanical' side ticked off ( maybe ?) I need to get myself up to speed and comfortable on the biological side - set up, cycle procedure and requirements, and lighting.
I look forward to sharing this with you all, and getting your inputs, warning, comments, suggestions, instructions..or all of the above.. believe me, I will need them.

Thanks for following.

Jac

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Hi All,
a lot has been happening this week. The block work crew started yesterday, and in the last 2 days, we have the walls and beams just about done. They will finish tomorrow, then we core fill the walls and beams on Friday.
Are you trying to point something out to us in that first pic :D