Tank Journal Archive

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
January 2014
Tank update for Jan 2014. Everything is going well, adding more corals, started dosing kalkwasser, hoping to start seeing some coraline growth on my rockwork soon, cant wait for them to be covered. a little bit dissapointed with the fish i have stocked, probably the most boring fish ive owned, the clowns never move from the nem and the bangaii just hovers over the heliofungia.... anyway heres some photos.
IMG_4942.JPG
IMG_4931.JPG
IMG_4948.JPG
IMG_4930.JPG
IMG_4958.JPG
IMG_4955.JPG
IMG_4927.JPG
IMG_4949.JPG

Attachments

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Simply stunning! Beautifully designed, well coloured, plenty of room, I love it. Not to mention, great photography :worship

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Awesome work. Thinking my little nano that I got for xmas is going to follow you lead.

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
So after doing some more research on BTA's... I've learnt that white with purple tips isn't the way they are supposed to look, it is infarct bleached and has lost all of its zxkabshdhd algae, you know the one :)

So I guess I better start the road to recovery, going to start by upping feedings of shrimp to 3 times a week and a squirt of mysis shrimp on the remaining days when feeding the fish, anyone have any other ideas on what could help? *Cough* @Dr. Schell

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
feed it daily. I use "marine dinner" cubes. This is a complete feed (one of the prepared frozen foods). The anemone should be able to re-establish is zooxanthellae algae from those that are present within the water column. Recovery of bleached anemones can take several months, however feeding the anemone will speed up the process as the anemone's 'waste' products will aid in the algae's re-establishment. Ensure that your water temperature does not exceed 27 to 29 degrees C for any length of time, as this may cause bleaching of not only your anemones but your other corals as well.

Good luck.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Tanks lookin sweet MR Binns.

My nem bleached after a hair cut by world famous nem hair dresser Mr Tunze. Never seemed to faze it and coloured back up fine with regular feeding. Wonder what colour it will come back as?

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
Everything else in the tank is thriving including a bleached lobo, starting to come back with a deep purple rim, pink mouth with really bright green specks, could be a stunner. the anemone was this colour when i bought it and i nievely assumed thats the way it is supposed to look, if you didn't know any better just by looking at it you would like it was a healthy specemin, always keeps its bubbles and eats well, a little bit pissed off at being sold a bleached nem for $70 dollars lol, il be even more pissed off if it does just end up being brown with purple tips! @mscott.
i have read up on bleached ones that have turned out green and others red so i dont know, are GBTA's or RBTA's known to have purple tips or only undesired brown ones lol? il keep reading up in the meantime. thanks for the prompt advice @Dr. Schell :)

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
Tanks lookin sweet MR Binns.

My nem bleached after a hair cut by world famous nem hair dresser Mr Tunze. Never seemed to faze it and coloured back up fine with regular feeding. Wonder what colour it will come back as?
thanks mate :) haha yeah mine hasnt moved yet and has a hold in a nice hole in the rockwork, but i was very nervous about ye olde nem soup over night during the first week!

yeah i dunno about the colour, i will be devistated if it turns out brown, i wouldnt want to keep it and i imagine getting it out from this hole would be an absoloute nightmare, when i look down from the top of the tank i think i see a tiny, Tiny hint of green here and there, i dont know, maybe im just trying to convinse myself, wishful thinking lol, shame too because i actually liked the white look.

Miller

Dec 4, 2012
traralgon
My old bubble tip had purple tips and was a great bright green
Hopefully it comes back as green or even better red but less likely lol
I have heard of ppl putting pulsing Xenia in the tank to help them recover don't know how well it works but it's something to do with the zoo algae they have and pump out?

Anyway awesome scape and amazing photos mate the scollies look like they love life
Keep up the great work dude

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
My old bubble tip had purple tips and was a great bright green
Hopefully it comes back as green or even better red but less likely lol
I have heard of ppl putting pulsing Xenia in the tank to help them recover don't know how well it works but it's something to do with the zoo algae they have and pump out?

Anyway awesome scape and amazing photos mate the scollies look like they love life
Keep up the great work dude
Agreed with the Xenia, I have it in all of my anemone tanks. Xenia overproduces zooxanthellae and will act as a source for your anemone.