Tank Journal Archive

bimbo

Oct 7, 2014
Newcastle
January 2015
Well not long back from 2 weeks holidays and was very anxious to get home and see how the tank had faired.
When I got home it wasn't too bad, most colonies looked pretty good but my green/yellow mili and a pink tabling acro had lost approx half of each colony. I fragged what I could but the 3 pieces I got from the mili had all RTN's. The 2 frags I recovered from the acro - one has lost alot of the tissue and will probably completly die off but the other one is looking much better and was even showing some PE this morning so there is some hope for that one. Both of these colonies though had never done that well in my tank which is probably why they where the 1st ones to RTN.
However the biggest kick in the guts was my Copperband Butterfly was MIA. Not sure what happened there as he was eating really well and healthy when we left, was my favorite fish which sucks.
So after a few big water changes and a good clean everything is looking ok but stil feeling down I figured it was time for some retail therapy reefing style :D
This guy ended up in my QT Tank
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v234_bimborocks_Mobile_20Uploads_2015_01_DSC_0946_zps5zvssrib.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v234_bimborocks_Mobile_20Uploads_2015_01_DSC_0947_zps4znsdqec.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v234_bimborocks_Mobile_20Uploads_2015_01_DSC_0949_zpsho8vbhue.jpg

It had been at the LFS for approx 2 weeks and hadn't eaten much according to the owner but after watching the fish for nearly 30mins I could see that it was being harassed a little by the purple and Atlantic blue tangs that is was in with and basically hid up in the corner of the tank but it did come out occasionally and pick at the silicone and a few bits on the bottom of the tank, it was still nice and fat and very alert, so I figured it was most likely reason for it not eating was a combination of stress and competition. So the Red Sea Regal Angel came home with me.
Once in the QT tank it was out exploring when it thought I wasn't looking, wherever it sees me it ducks back into its PVC cave, but as expected with any new fish it showed little interest in any foods offered for the first few days - I am sure it was picking a little at the nori that was offered on a clip. However this morning I threw in some frozen mysis and kicked back in front of the tank with my cup of coffee and watched the regal not only pick up a few mysis off the bottom of the tank but actively grab them out of the water column, great way to start the morning. Now I realise that there is still along way to go, and don't want to get too excited but it is a big hurdle in the longer term survival of this fish.

Cheers
James

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Good to hear the tank faired well while you were away :)
Awesome new fish though! What a gorgeous little regal and good that it's eating now too :)

CodyS

Sep 22, 2012
Glad to hear most of the tank was good. You should chuck some coral in for that regal to eat, your favourite bits will work best!

bimbo

Oct 7, 2014
Newcastle
Glad to hear most of the tank was good. You should chuck some coral in for that regal to eat, your favourite bits will work best!
I have a good stash of zoos and xenia he can munch on, as long as he doesn't like crayons the we will get along fine

Gorgeous fish!

Coral friendly?
They are a bit hit and miss, but they do have a tendency to munch on zoo's and lps so hopefully he should be OK, some people have had them for years and not even touch a corals.

Cheers
James

bimbo

Oct 7, 2014
Newcastle
Been playing around with the camera in RAW mode and love it.
Here are a couple of quick picks - no FTS as the tank is going through a red cyano attach which this week I am finally feeling like I am starting to with the war. Most likely caused buy 0 nitrates and 0.3+ phosphates over Christmas while I was on holidays.
Purple Pocillipora
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v234_bimborocks_DSC_6957_zpslp1bycpt.jpg

Purple Crispa
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v234_bimborocks_DSC_6946_zpshixy8h51.jpg

Tri Colour Acro
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v234_bimborocks_DSC_6962_zps5lmi0mfw.jpg

Montipora Undata
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v234_bimborocks_DSC_6984_zpsgr2hnuzb.jpg

Red Sea Regal Angel now in the display tank - one of the most stunning fish on the reef IMO
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v234_bimborocks_DSC_7000_zps2l8f4fve.jpg

Cheers
James

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Beautiful fish - the larger angels are definitely on my 'I Wish' list - they seem like they have a tonne of personality as well.

bimbo

Oct 7, 2014
Newcastle
Beautiful fish - the larger angels are definitely on my 'I Wish' list - they seem like they have a tonne of personality as well.
the regal is still quite shy but getting more and more confident in the tank which is good. The regal and the cleaner wrasse love getting stuck into the nori on a clip