Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Jebao Dc 12000 Pumps - Any Rust Issues?
I am about to install my new return pump - I actually purchased it over a year ago but haven't got around to using it :rolleyes

I noticed some screws on the housing and a circlip on the front of the impeller - has anyone had any issue with these rusting?

DC12000-2jpg.jpg

DC12000-1.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I have been running one for a couple of years now. Didn't have any rust the last time I gave it a clean a month or so ago.

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
Nice price, i may get a dc3000 as a backup/spare for my tunze
I have a DCT 3000 and when I installed it it had a very annoying whine to it. I can hear it in nearly all my rooms. I contacted fish street and they said the DCT wasn't the silent one and is normal. I ended up putting the aqua one back in. Anyone else had this?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I have a DCT 3000 and when I installed it it had a very annoying whine to it. I can hear it in nearly all my rooms. I contacted fish street and they said the DCT wasn't the silent one and is normal. I ended up putting the aqua one back in. Anyone else had this?
Doesn't sound right to me. My 12000 starts making a little noise near full power. My 6000 in my skimmer is very quiet on full power.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I was having a whining noise problem with my 6000DCT and bit the bullet and ordered the 7000DCS, which I was assured by Fish Street to be silent. Keeping the DCT as a backup.
The 7000DCS is just as loud. It's running at about 3/4 speed and the whining can be heard 2 rooms away.
This isn't going to be any good when I move to the apartment soon. The wife will have my guts for garters.
I wish the pump was as quiet as the one in their Coral Box Skimmer, it's dead silent.
So I'm looking around for something else for the return pump - really don't feel like forking out for the Tunze Silent, but may have to.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I am about to install my new return pump - I actually purchased it over a year ago but haven't got around to using it :rolleyes

I noticed some screws on the housing and a circlip on the front of the impeller - has anyone had any issue with these rusting?

View attachment 52855
View attachment 52853
I have the 7000DCS and it twists and clips together without the bolts, but it does have the metal C clip. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
I was having a whining noise problem with my 6000DCT and bit the bullet and ordered the 7000DCS, which I was assured by Fish Street to be silent. Keeping the DCT as a backup.
The 7000DCS is just as loud. It's running at about 3/4 speed and the whining can be heard 2 rooms away.
This isn't going to be any good when I move to the apartment soon. The wife will have my guts for garters.
I wish the pump was as quiet as the one in their Coral Box Skimmer, it's dead silent.
So I'm looking around for something else for the return pump - really don't feel like forking out for the Tunze Silent, but may have to.
Yeah my girlfriend couldn't sleep she reckoned. Better a low hum from AC pump then that whine, my coral box is silent also.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
With my new Reefer tank now in place, this return pump was no longer required so I gave it a good clean today ready to return it to its box to be kept for a future use. The following picture will tell the rest of the story -

Rust-1.jpg

A brush with a tooth brush cleaned off most of it, so it was mostly surface rust but I think it would get much worse very quickly if put back into use.

Rust-2.jpg

I will mention that it has been out of water for around 6 weeks but I'm not sure if that would have made things worse?

@Sam Parker I am happy to report both the good and the bad with respect to these pumps ;)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
When I had my pump out a couple of weeks ago when I moved house, I didn't see any rust.
Still the same pump that I mentioned earlier in this thread.
I wonder if it being out of the water made it rust?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I'll have to pull mine down and take a look see. I haven't seen any rust in mine. Send those pics to Eric so he can send them to the factory. I know the screws haven't rusted on any of mine.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I'll have to pull mine down and take a look see. I haven't seen any rust in mine. Send those pics to Eric so he can send them to the factory. I know the screws haven't rusted on any of mine.
I am away from home for a few days but will send an email to Fishstreet on the weekend. There is no rust evident on any of the screws.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Email sent to Fishstreet - it will be interesting to see their reply as, to be fair, I purchased this pump over 2 years ago, although I only started using it in January 2016.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
That was a quick response ...

Eric has kindly suggested that I need to purchase a replacement impeller for $35USD + postage o_0

What do you think - I purchased this pump over 2 years ago, but only started using it in January this year. If the original impeller was not 'fit for purpose' and they designed a new one, should I have to pay for the replacement??

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Where are the jebao fan boys now hahaha

No in all seriousness, you bought it 2 years ago. They have continued to develop the product since then, be grateful you can upgrade (although sounds expensive when the pump isn't that much?)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I pulled 6 of the 9 down and nothing in mine. I wouldn't pay 3x as much for a pump made in China, never gonna happen. 4 of those pumps have been in service for over 3 years. I'll pull the other 3 down and look at them this week and take some pics if I have time. It's been crazy busy here.

Gonna send Eric an email myself, that's shit that he said that.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Eric's reply,

Hi

All item over 1 month need to pay shipping, otherwise return and fixed cost more time and shipping fee on it

Eric