Tank Journal Archive

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Just A Bit Of An Update
Well because of my exams and study and life, I wasn't able to do my weekly water change last week so in the end it was a two week no water change for the tank. Which makes me feel uncomfortable lol but the tank didn't care! So while everything was looking happy and fresh I decided to take a few happy snaps as always haha.
The Good:
- Colours are going strong, growth seems to be picking up.
- Partial sandbed removal is nearly done and things have responded well. It was looking a little shitty and was starting to solidify as well.
- Kole is settled in nicely, eating and playing with everyone nicely.
- My zoa's seem to finally be growing again, when I changed the lights over they all pretty much just stopped. Didn't look unhealthy or closed up but they just weren't growing to nearly the same rate I was getting under the Illumagics.

The Bad:
- Algae still seems to be growing without any indications of slowing :( I'm hoping with sandbed removal and a few other techniques that I can lessen it a little bit and eventually kill it off. Not lessening the amount of food I feed though haha
- The blasted aquaknead-it has come unstuck in a few places! Half the scape is loose and a few corals are no longer stuck down but I've been saved by a particularly awesome acro, that's turning into a really interesting piece as well!
- I'm looking at starting a small zoa and invert nano/pico, well it's only bad because it's an expensive addition haha and it's at my partner's house so I have to play by some rules!
- Bubble algae is still growing really well, bastard stuff. I'm just ignoring it unless it bothers something though.
- Not sure why but a few acro's have a little less PE than normal and a couple have stalled growth but colours are still strong so I'm not overly worried yet.

Now that all that boring writing is out of the way onto the pictures!
First lot was a bunch of tank shots from various angles because the trusty old FTS can get a little repetitive.
FTS:
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1043_zps1ivdu8yi.jpg

Left-hand side:
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1044_zpsmziznt12.jpg

Left-hand angle:
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1054_zps85w1kauh.jpg

Right-hand angle:
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1053_zpsvjytpiwy.jpg

Zoa's, as you can tell compared to a few pics ago, they really haven't done anything lol but I am starting to see some new growth!
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1026_zpsuu1qkzsc.jpg

I still love this thing! Doesn't extend much more than this but it is steadily growing and keeping some bloody awesome colours! Candy apple goni:
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1037_zpsbvnyaodr.jpg

And finally we move onto the real reason I'm here lol the acro's. It doesn't matter whether it's a good acro day or a bad one, I love them either way. They're just such fascinating critters, consuming sugars from a photosynthetic algae they shack up with for energy and pooping out a calcium carbonate structure! And beside, the polyps themselves are soo cool :D
My plating efflo frag is encrusting like a mofo but not plating :( haha hopefully the plating isn't too far away!
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1041_zpsibwyipwv.jpg

This acro is my favourite as it's supporting part of the scape haha it's turning into a really awesome piece though and I'm digging the colours on it, they're basic but they contrast fantastically!
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1050_zpsqynwez2d.jpg

ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1038_zpspmojewqz.jpg

This piece was poo brown for many months but I'm starting to get the green, purple and blue back along with the polyps going green again. If I moved it up a little more I'm sure it would go crazy in no time!
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1040_zpsu6559mdu.jpg

This milli was a lovely light pink when I bought it but it seems to be developing a much deeper, less pastel pink. Which I'm totally cool with:
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1039_zpspduuq9vr.jpg

Some SSC because who doesn't love these things! :) Both growing well with some cool growth spurts coming directly up, two different species too.
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1035_zpsbvxodgji.jpg

ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1030_zps2bh2b03p.jpg

I bought this piece as the most amazing baby blue, really light but saturated colour not a pastel blue and as I expected it browned out pretty quickly but it's coming back again so I'm happy! I think with a little more potassium we might get some better blue :)
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1036_zps5xn6fmq4.jpg

An artist shot :p
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1047_zpsa1xibrnu.jpg

Frags from Rob :D
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1027_zpsfqg3fuaj.jpg

A really bad acro city shot!
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1045_zps9d3wh0yb.jpg

Of course the firetruck, the base is starting to develop the metallic green I used to get and it's starting to put on a little bulk now that I've got it getting a little more protection and a bit of a healthier environment.
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1032_zps9pgeqapt.jpg

My red, gold and blue tipped spathulata, I just adore this thing. It's just soooooo cooooolll :D lol
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_1034_zps6pem2oq5.jpg

Well that's all folks, hope y'all enjoy and looking forward to any questions :)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Love your updates! Bubble algae is the devil - I'd get it out before the corals get too big to get access to it.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
A Basic (but really, complex) question:

Acros, I wanna know the ins and outs! How'd you learn?!
haha way to ask me the easy questions! There are a bunch of in's and out's when it comes to our dear old friend the acropora but the three most important aspects of keeping acro's are Stability, Flow and Light. You need a buttload of each of them.

In terms of where I learnt, it's come from years of reading and plenty of practice with them! I've got a stack of books, that I've read at least twice each, I read all of the Reef Builders and Advanced Aquarist articles that are written on them (especially those by Dana Riddle!), I pick out certain reefer's that aspire me and literally read every post they make and find commonalities between them. I don't stress about a lot of things or chase numbers. And as they say "Practice makes perfect". I've kept numerous species and some make it and others don't but when something doesn't make it I always track what was going on and why it happened so I can avoid any further mistakes like that.

Is there anything specific you really want to know??

Love it! Beautiful zoa frags there....
Thanks mate! I'm just happy they're growing again lol

Pop some Phos -corex in mate... made by continuum. Its awesome stuff and has dropped my phos from 0.2 down to zero using 20ml. It stayed there for over four weeks. Now im dosing 5ml a month. At 0.02 now.
As frequently as I'm tempted to dump a bunch of phos media in the tank and try and strip it out, it'll muck around with the zeo so I tend to avoid it at the end of the day. Even if I really want to use it lol

Love your updates! Bubble algae is the devil - I'd get it out before the corals get too big to get access to it.
I'm glad, I make enough of them hahaha Eh, I can't be arsed really. I take care of big ones that are visible and bothering corals but aside from that I'll just wait for it all to get grown over haha

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
What do you have for flubber in your tank?
If you ask Andrew it's those "bloody zoa's" haha but other than that maybe my clams? I don't actually have any flubber at all lol no room for it lol I wouldn't mind an orange hammer or a nice trachy/symphillia though

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
If you ask Andrew it's those "bloody zoa's" haha but other than that maybe my clams? I don't actually have any flubber at all lol no room for it lol I wouldn't mind an orange hammer or a nice trachy/symphillia though
LPS are not flubber. Fail. :p

I was like you once with Bubble algae, now when I see a tiny little bauble I'm on it like a fat ninja

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I fucking knew you would say flubery zoas!!!! I stopped there at zoas and clams..... Clams are still acceptable in the purest pursuit.....

Forget the rest of what you mentioned, stick that in your second to be tank.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney

I was like you once with Bubble algae, now when I see a tiny little bauble I'm on it like a fat ninja
Naaa,I call it like it is .... you see , I like you M you can get away with murder in my eyes and you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research

haha they have large moving parts mostly and soft flubbery skin :p so flubber haha

I was like that but I'm not going to let it ruin my tank so I'll keep going as I am, if I beat it outstanding, if not I'll keep ignoring!

I fucking knew you would say flubery zoas!!!! I stopped there at zoas and clams..... Clams are still acceptable in the purest pursuit.....

Forget the rest of what you mentioned, stick that in your second to be tank.
Well they are soft and squishy :p haha Zoa's and clams are the only other allowable items in the tank, oh and a chalice or two but they're hardly flubber! I'd say I'm pretty close to pure lol

Naaa,I call it like it is .... you see , I like you M you can get away with murder in my eyes and you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!
hahahahahaha this would have to be one of my favourite posts so far! I second this

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
haha they have large moving parts mostly and soft flubbery skin :p so flubber haha

I was like that but I'm not going to let it ruin my tank so I'll keep going as I am, if I beat it outstanding, if not I'll keep ignoring!

Well they are soft and squishy :p haha Zoa's and clams are the only other allowable items in the tank, oh and a chalice or two but they're hardly flubber! I'd say I'm pretty close to pure lol

hahahahahaha this would have to be one of my favourite posts so far! I second this
There has to be method to the madness.... Either that or you need a certain amount patience . But certainly more madness to the method.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Looks grate Dom , What fis is that next to your Tang?
Is that the same angel you got way back or is that a new one? (looks different)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Looks grate Dom , What fis is that next to your Tang?
Is that the same angel you got way back or is that a new one? (looks different)
The little black angel? I've had that little one for ages lol he/she's the oldest fish in the tank :)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
If you ever want me to kill someone, consider it done bud. :D

Zoa's and clams are the only other allowable items in the tank, oh and a chalice or two but they're hardly flubber! I'd say I'm pretty close to pure lol
Famous last words!