Tank Journal Archive

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
Just Constructed A Power Supply Box For My In-process Led Build.
Nothing too fancy. Just a pair of 250W (48VDC/5A output) open rail supplies, a pair of XLR sockets, a fused and switched IEC inlet, and a metal enclosure.

ai.imgur.com_5aJRIuT.jpg

The 240VAC in has a 6.3A fast blow ceramic fuse in it. Each power supply draws a maximum of 2.5A. A pair of them in parallel draws a maximum of 5A. The next closest fuse value is 6.3A (using a 5A fuse wouldn't work as it would be constantly popping). So basically if the worst happens and a short forms, as soon as the current exceeds 6.3A (which it should quickly) the fuse will pop and cut power.

ai.imgur.com_UaAj6sD.jpg

From the back of the connectors you can see that I've used large, solid crimp connectors for the spade terminals (except the live/neutral feeds to the switch, they weren't needed - live and neutral OFF the switch to the supplies use spades also) and heatshrink protected solder connections for the DC output.

ai.imgur.com_D20TAYm.jpg

Power supply rails. As you can see, I've used open spades with extremely solid crimps and soldered the wires as well for additional bond strength. Once the screws are tightened down on these, they don't move.

All cables were tested at both ends with a multimeter to make sure connections were good and there were no shorts. Input and output voltage were measured and were exactly where they needed to be and were completely stable. Input current was measured and was actually drawing LESS than expected, probably because there was no load on the supplies. I'm going to get a sparky friend to check over my work for safety's sake of course.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Geez mate,
I reckon you have done a great job on that project! Looks professional enough to me that it shouldn't be hidden away at the back of the cabinet lol. It may not have flashing light & dials but it looks 100% functional which is the main thing. :)

E

ezza

Holy cow! You're not an electrician?! I was about to ask you to come and revolutionize my wiring!! Very impressive!

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Nice, Not totally relevant for your application however a tip or sometimes good practice whilst we are on mains panel cabling using 3 core flex wiring is to leave the ground wire a little longer than the A / N. That way if the "cable" is under any undue strain the earth is the last wire to come off. you can take up the length in the E wire via a small pig tail loop. More relevant when you have power cabling leaving an enclosure through a grommet however always good to keep in mind when doing any wiring.

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
Nice, Not totally relevant for your application however a tip or sometimes good practice whilst we are on mains panel cabling using 3 core flex wiring is to leave the ground wire a little longer than the A / N. That way if the "cable" is under any undue strain the earth is the last wire to come off. you can take up the length in the E wire via a small pig tail loop. More relevant when you have power cabling leaving an enclosure through a grommet however always good to keep in mind when doing any wiring.
that is a good idea though, thanks for the tip. The earth wires are a little longer anyway, and by virtue of me designing it so the earths are closer to the input than the a/n on each power supply, they're under the least strain.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Thats pretty similar to what I made up a while back for my led lights. The power supply has been going strong for 2.5 years now, pretty good for a cheap chinese one!
I found the fans super loud on it though so I ended up using a pc power supply fan on the lid of the enclosure and hooked it up to the thermo on the power supply.
I also mounted the controller on the side of the box.

20150206_231510.jpg

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
Nice work - shouldn't you have the little plastic cover over the connections to stop someone getting electrocuted :p
they didn't actually have rail covers, but that part's gonna be enclosed anyway. Plus I'm thinking of fabricating something to go over them myself.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
they didn't actually have rail covers, but that part's gonna be enclosed anyway. Plus I'm thinking of fabricating something to go over them myself.
Sorry, I wasn't being serious :) I often think to myself just how dangerous these really are with the 240v connections pretty much unprotected - and the plastic covers they usually provide don't really make things much safer.