Tank Journal Archive

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
Just Over 4 Months Old
Well the last week has been one of tidying up and fixing niggly little problems. The new Deltec SC1455 is now in, fine tuned and running like a dream. It replaces the old Deltec SC1351 which was no longer big enough for the bio load in this developing tank.
I did have one hiccup on day three with it when I added some Sachem Purigen and the skimmer went ballistic. I usually do have Purigen in the tank but had taken it out to regenerate it the day before I changed out the skimmer so of course this skimmer had never worked in the water with it. It was not a happy vegemite and flooded 9L of yucky water all over my lounge carpet. NOT HAPPY JAN!!!
On close inspection I realised why it had flooded to the carpet. The skimmer sits on the right side of my sump and is quite close to a set of plugs. I had got darling hubby to protect the plugs with plastic safely suspended from the cupboard ceiling that then wrapped past the skimmer head and down the outside the tank... and that was the problem. The skimmer head was touching the plastic and so the overflowing liquid ran down the inside of the plastic protective sheet, straight down the outside of the sump to the cupboard floor and then the carpet!
The potential flood problem has now been resolved with the plastic being trimmed, slid inside the sump and fixed more to the cupboard ceiling. Now, if the sump overflows, it will flood into the sump rather than on my carpet.
11990652_10200894501720561_4519405506701643660_n.jpg

Another change to the sump cupboard is the addition of the ATO reservoir (on the left). This is an old 2ft freshwater aquarium I had which slides into the space with literally 2cm space to spare. Awesome! I have kept the lid on the reservoir to help stop evaporation. The new Smart ATO should be installed next weekend. Another job to tick off the list. :)
In terms of the tank, nothing new there. Oh wait, there are a couple of new things. Someone very kindly gave me some zoas and two SPS this week. There's a lovely, quite big, zoa rock which now sits on the right hand bommie. That bommie is designated as the zoa farms I'm placing all zoas there. There were also a couple of frags of other really gorgeous zoas and two beautiful SPS frags. These are now settling on the frag racks for a few weeks before I place them.
11997494_10200894299515506_1049709440_n.jpg
So all is fine in Ziggy's tank land at the moment. I'm looking forward to getting my Koemer 3 channel dozer the week after next. I've managed to get a second hand one thats only been used for 6 months so that is a wonderful score. Thats another thing to tick off the list in a couple of weeks. :)
11926060_10200894509640759_1408243765746531517_o.jpg

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
Thank you @Andrew B. Its a work in progress of course and I'm looking forward to seeing it in 12 months when theres lots more corals and everything is settled and beginning to mature.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
It's minimalistic, but there's still adequate rockwork for the fish to dive into and allow them to feel safe and secure.

I'd be happy looking at it. Very nice.