Tank Journal Archive

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Thanks guy's, It wasn't the lightest thing I've ever had to pick up lol.

Just got home from unloading it. Ute has been sitting around at the new place waiting for another set of hands to unload it.
Decided that since it was going on carpet, we would put a sheet of vinyl down. At first we thought just use that hall runner stuff around the edges, but found this sheet vinyl at Bunnings for only $9.95 a meter. For the sake of $50 bucks we decided to use this as it also goes up the back of the cabinet also. So if anything goes down the back it will not bugger up the carpet. Mainly there at the front because you always get a few drips whenever you do anything in a tank, nothing major, but after a few years of "a couple of drips" things could look nasty lol. This is just small insurance we hope.

The vinyl sheet in place
20130315_182824.jpeg

Cabinet in place
20130315_191420_2.jpeg

Top of the cabinet
20130315_193540.jpeg

Yessum, should get everything into the cabinet.
20130315_193557.jpeg

Jen just brought up about starting a new TJ. I reckon it should stay in this TJ. It is after all the same tank, just moving it around lol. :)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Well we started at 7:45 yesterday morning & finished about an hour ago. Everything back in the tank except the fish for the night.
Thanks to @DavidS, @Dynamic @Sarg & @vpreef for coming over & lending a hand & also the guy's who work for & used to work for me lol. They provided the mussel to move the tank. Special thanks to Dave & Erin from Deer Park Aquarium for bringing over a 4ft tank, air pump, chemicals & plumbing bits to help get everything up & running tonight, they only left here about 01:30 this morning. Not many photo's but they can wait for next week before we get them up.
Moving the old 8ft tomorrow & need some sleep. :)

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Well we started at 7:45 yesterday morning & finished about an hour ago. Everything back in the tank except the fish for the night.
Thanks to @DavidS, @Dynamic @Sarg & @vpreef for coming over & lending a hand & also the guy's who work for & used to work for me lol. They provided the mussel to move the tank. Special thanks to Dave & Erin from Deer Park Aquarium for bringing over a 4ft tank, air pump, chemicals & plumbing bits to help get everything up & running tonight, they only left here about 01:30 this morning. Not many photo's but they can wait for next week before we get them up.
Moving the old 8ft tomorrow & need some sleep. :)
Don't keep us waiting to long can't wait to see some pics :p

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Ahh well, this is how it starts right.
Tank move will be next Saturday 23/03/13 so I may have to send out some messages lol. The last two or three weeks have been hectic trying to get stuff organised & delivered. Hopefully the coral sand for the 10ft & the Gold river pebbles will be here for the 8ft tomorrow to. If anyone wants some size 00 marble chips let us know as there is about 100Kg in the tank now that wont be going back in.

Picked up the cabinet today from Dave @ Deer Park. Should have seen the looks on the way home lol. Surprised we didn't cause an accident at some point. The amount of head turning that was going on. We were talking about this last night & saying it would be best to do it mid day as peak hour would be silly. So the cabinet gets to the shop just after 14:00 & we left at 14:45 so peak hour had just started. Only just got out of there before the soccer mom's starting turning up for the rug brat's. Was a slow trip up the Western Hwy but bugger em all! they always hold me up so it felt good to hold everyone else up for a change, often wondered what driving in the left hand lane was like lol.
So anyway, on to the pic's .....
View attachment 12895

View attachment 12896

View attachment 12897

View attachment 12898

View attachment 12899

View attachment 12900

View attachment 12901

View attachment 12902

View attachment 12903

So now we are at home waiting for a hand to get the bloody thing off the ute.
Was looking at @MagicJ tank while we were there & liked the look/idea of the extra bit on the length of the cabinet. So this cabinet is twelve foot long by two & a half foot wide, one meter tall. Six two foot doors along the front for easy access, both ends of the cabinet are also doors. There is no step on the side doors so the sump will just slide straight in.Having an extra two foot under the tank will come in handy to I'm betting lol. It's amazing how much crap you can jam in when you need to, this time I'd like to have it looking good for longer then the first time I have to change or get at something.

That's about it, will try & post some pics of the finial resting place tonight at some stage.

Ken & Jen:)
That stand is huge.... you could post that pic of it hanging out the tail of the ute with those funny photos from India etc...

Seriously I wish I could indulge in something that big!

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
So it moved ok? Sorry I bailed before the heavy lifting though with Lee the big lad on the case I think it was going to be ok lol

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
sorry ken i wanted to be there when you did this lol honest...but ye not a good time for me looking good though mate :)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Well What a weekend.
The tank is up & running, but looking like crap in the aquascaping dept. This was defiantly a learning experience! Not one I would like to repeat in the near future. Moving a 10ft full reef tank should not have been done in a day, for two main reasons.....
1) No mater how much you plan, livestock will suffer
2) No matter how much you plan, you will suffer
We have had so many late nights it's not funny, but things are on the turn now.
Onto the bad, The only fish we lost was the Coral Beauty. I thought the fish going to Deer Park would be OK but when they got there the CB was gone. The Bi-Color wasn't looking the best but pulled through. Yellow bar has coloured up & is OK, the bloody Chromis, did not care either way, just another day for them, hard buggers. Some of the other fish did it hard also, we didn't know if Moo was going to make it at one stage. Dave at Deer Park came over with a box of tricks & looked after the fish with Jen. I was unaware of this as I was still pulling the tank apart at the old place. Dave was here until 2am Sunday morning, back after work on Sunday till 1am this morning helping us get everything back in order. You know who will be getting our vote for LFS of the year. Trying to get two large tanks setup at the same time is a nightmare let me tell you.
So here we are post move. The lights are back up & running. I must have knocked something because out of 16 strings, 1 string of CW is not working. It's nothing major but a PITA all the same. All the fish are eating, Moo is hungry but has started to turn is nose up at fresh prawn so it must be time to switch to oysters for awhile again. Fussy shit, but we would rather have him fussy then not at all.
I didn't take a pic the whole move, I think Jen may have a couple but @DavidS was the only one who thought of it during the day. Thanks mate, one thing I did notice, I need a hair cut & shave big time lol. That's what being on holidays is about aint it? going to the dogs.
Well that's about it for now, will get some pics up when we can.

Ken & Jen:)

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
I completely forgot about this move, should have sent me a text I could have gotten some of my roid head mates from the gym to come down,
Ken if u have any live rock left over after u finish ur aqua scape can I buy some off u? Il need some coral glue soon to :) so might have to pop down ur way again ;)
Anyway we need photos I want to see the aqua scape :p

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
And the moral of @Synodontis story is don't ever, ever, ever move house when you have a marine aquarium! Gonna second that vote on Deer Park getting LFS of the year. Seeing Dave perched on top of your tank loading the stock in was a sign of damn dedication! (or possibly the same level of nuts that those of us present that late all possess) :D

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Well it is now official, the world hates me.
Took an hour out of the day for the first time in days to sit down & kill people,
heard a large crack, looked around, nothing,
then another loud crack, looked again......heard water running.....
the phucking base of the new 8ft cracked!!
Where does 2000Ltr's of water go when there is a huge crack in the base of the tank?
Yup, down to the next level, the floor.

Again Dave came over to help Jen with the fish while I did what I could to clean up the disaster site.
Saved all the fish & PC that was sitting on the floor.

Ken & Jen:(

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Man that sucks :cry

What are you going to do repair the tank or will the guys replace it? Do you know what has caused it? At least you were home!

How much damage to the carpet etc I have been there and I feel your pain. You can get guys to come out with a big water vaccum hooked up to a truck then rent blower that go under the carpet to dry it out.

Good luck! The pain is only temporary :banghead

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
ZOMG!!!!!!!! That is so incredibly woefully phucked up. What the... how the.? :mad:
Hope you get that sorted out. Let me know if you need a hand.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Thanks guys,
Spent the night pushing one of those Britex things around from Woolworths. It was doing the job & got the worst of it out but there is still some coming through. Will give it another go today. Couldn't get onto anyone last night as it happened around 4/5pm, I cant remember lol.

What has the world in store for us today I wonder, really not sure if I should have gotten out of bed today lol:confused: