Tank Journal Archive

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Shittttt that sucks! I guess you can say at least it wasn't salt water through the floor. How long did it take to dump all the water?

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
oh dude, that sux ass!:rage Sorry to hear mate, hope you get it all sorted out.

I would be shattered if i heard a crack, i could only imagine the scene :(

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
If you can hire one of those blowers (even from that hire shop near you maybe) I'd highly recommend it as you don't want any moisture under there as the damp smell will kick in!

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I second what @Sarg says, we had the roof cave-in at my old work when the drains blocked during a heavy rain and flooded the roof dumping all the water inside. We just left them running constantly for a few days, seemed to do the job well.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Shit mate who did you piss off in a previous life? Can just see some little prick hiding round the corner just waiting to mess something up as you start to relax again.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Thanks again guy's,
I'm kinda over the 8ft so back to the 10ft.

Found time today to get most of the electricals back into some sort of order. After the move it was just a matter of getting everything running & extension cords & power boards were the order of the day. Nothing was tidy again, cords everywhere, so time to get some order.

Started with a blank canvas again,
IMAG1188.jpg

Found a piece of MDF at Bunnings & this came together,
IMAG1189.jpg

Part way through,
IMAG1191.jpg

No Cabinet lighting as yet, so this is the finished product so far with a 5ft fluro light on the floor lol.
IMAG1193.jpg

Without the 5ft light,
IMAG1194.jpg

Hardest things to hide in any cabinet is the power supplies I reckon. They have to reach the power point so I figured why not just run them down the side of the power box? One thing that was really handy is the length of cable between the controller & pump for the Waveline's. The skimmer is way down the other end of the tank but still had enough cable to mount the controller's together.

So far all the important bits are in there, only thing I just thought of is the Tunze 7096 controller. Well that will give me something else to do I guess.
Did an Alk test last night & it was down to 6.5, so having the dosing pump back up & running should make a huge diff there. Calc & Mag where all good. I wont get back into the Potassium & Iodine dosing until everything get a little more stable & aquascaping is done.

Still have to build a new return for the tank to. I was in such a hurry to get it all up & running again, I just run 25mm PVC pipe out the front cabinet door, up the front of the tank & into the tank lol. Looks funny as I reckon. That really need to be sorted out. Brought a few unions today while at Bunnings so another job for the days ahead.

Well that's about it for now, take it easy,

Ken & Jen :)

roamin

Nov 6, 2012
@
Synodontis
what an amazing setup you have! HUGE and what a move to get it all in to the new house.

sorry to hear about the 8 footer what a right pain in the ass. any idea what you will do with the tank? will it be repaired or replaced? everyones biggest fear i think in the aquarium hobby, let alone 2000L of water.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Thanks Chim,

But to be honest, it is a lot easier when you have an extra 2ft on the cabinet lol.
It is a nightmare trying to get things that tidy in a 10ft cabinet with a 6ft sump & ATO tank lol, hence the 12ft cabinet! :)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Hey @chimaera,
I reckon you're right mate, don't think I could cope with trying to get everything into a two foot cabinet! Hat's off to those that do :)

@Joshwaaaa,
It's easy, just put aside a day & don't look up. Start cutting & drilling & make it up as you go along. When you're done, step back, look at it, then think to yourself, damn, I didn't do that bit! Hook it all out & add them bits lol.

@MagicJ,
Sorry I didn't get in to update the power board last night, lot's to do lol. (Keep an eye on your mailbox.)

Ok, onto the power box, who want's to hear a story, hand's up!
We brought this power box off a young lady from way over the other side of town. This is also where @Shantelle picked up her 6ft tank. Hermione built this herself & did a great job. The 3 switchboards are Chauvet PC-08's, which are now discontinued & have been for some time. You can still get them online from the UK & other places but postage is a killer. I'm still looking for a couple more if anyone finds them.
PC-08.jpg

As you can see they are nothing flash but I'd hate to build one myself. Keep everything nice & tidy plug wise & easy to label.
Once you have found they PC-08's, you will need 8 each of the plugs to hook into the back of the unit.
power board plug.jpg

So from the pic's you should now see how it all works. Plug the cable into the rear of the unit & just run the female aussie end around to the side so you can then plug in whatever you need to.
IMAG1211.jpg
IMAG1212.jpg

When I think about it, this would have to be one of the best things we ever picked up for the tank. It really does keep all the power in one spot & with the plug cover on you have no idea what's behind it. No need to go looking for a switch all over the cabinet as everything is there in front of you easily seen. Once you get into the habit, you don't even need to read the label's lol. Very handy for grouping switch's also, all the Tunze together sort of thing.

Spent the afternoon trying to aquascape the right hand side of the weir. I hate this as I have no artistic bones anywhere in me. I just start stacking & see what happens, I have an idea in my head but getting it out & into the tank is a bugger I'm sorry lol. Wanted to lose a lot of the rock in the DT this time but still have enough room for corals. Also have to make a home for Moo, he's growing up you know, going to be a big boy soon.
IMAG1205.jpg
IMAG1206.jpg

IMAG1207.jpg
IMAG1209.jpg

A lot of the corals down on the sandbed will not be staying there. It was just a place to put them while I played with the rock's & generally annoyed the citizens again. They soon realised that it was not like last time & they would not be placed into a small foam box again. I have to admit that I am SO over being attacked by clowns! The tomato clowns started first as I was at there end. Tank about pissed off that I would dare move their nem's again lol. The little buggers chased my hand's all over that end of the tank. Then I moved up towards the centre & the white stripped Maroon Clown decided to attack me! Now this guy is about 3" long & has some weight behind him! First time he rammed me I could feel the force behind it lol, towards the end of my playtime he had drawn blood biting me. Not long after I decided that was enough for the day with all the slime in the tank & a huge gaping wound the clown had given me. Bastard!

I did find a Yeti in the tank tho! well I think it's either a Yeti or a very close relative of cousin it! Your thoughts?
IMAG1200.jpg

IMAG1203.jpg
IMAG1204.jpg

Pretty cool little bugger, well, maybe not so little. He is about an inch across the body, then he opens up & does that crab shuffle thing lol. He is a hairy little shit, when I pulled him out of the tank all his hair went limp & looked like a drowned rat hahaha. I call it hair but it's more like a fur covering, very soft to the touch. Perhaps this is where Mr.Snuffleupagus evolved from! just thought of that, I can see a resemblance around the eyes & nose lol.

Well that's enough dribble from me for one night,
Play nice everybody,

Ken & Jen

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
That is a freaky looking creature, is that its eyes at the front? It has a crab shape looking down on it it looks alien lol

@dr_schell have you ever seen one?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Difficult to make out. Looks similar to a White fingered coral clinger (Cymo andreossyi). I have seen similar species referred to as teddy bear crabs