Reef Discussion

Darkspartan

May 11, 2012
Canberra
Kessil 360w
Hey,

So i've had a newish kessil 360W and an older 350(?) over my tank for awhile now. I lost the older kessil a few weeks ago.

It seems I'm seeing a lot more growth tips than with both lights? Seems to be a bit of a burst of growth.

I just spent another $600 on a kessil. Now wondering if I really didn't need it? haha

Maybe it's the corals going OMG not as much light better grow higher?

I have a CADE HL600.

At least with both the kessils, I can lower the power and not have as much shading observed with one of them.

Ideas? Thoughts?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Sorry, I'm not really answering your original question :D

I have built a few DIY LED lights, and I know how much heat can be generated by them. In such a compact space like the Kessil design I have often wondered how they dissipate the heat - heat is a killer of LED's !!

Darkspartan

May 11, 2012
Canberra
Sorry, I'm not really answering your original question :D

I have built a few DIY LED lights, and I know how much heat can be generated by them. In such a compact space like the Kessil design I have often wondered how they dissipate the heat - heat is a killer of LED's !!
As long as the Kessil fixture isnt in an enclosed space and you watch for gunk building up, it doesnt seem to get too hot at all.

I've got the other Kessil coming in the mail. See how it goes.

One thing that would be horrible is having both kessil fixtures dying at the same time. haha