Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Kessil
So I couldn't resist the -20% offer AoA has running and ordered myself a Kessil, gooseneck and 90 degree adapter, and controller. I had recently decided that I was definitely going with the Kessil so good timing.

I've seen a tank of my exact dimensions run 1x a360 and it covered well, his only complaint was shadowing. In time I might add a second to overcome this but I think for now it will be perfect. Can't wait!

I also ordered some potassium nitrate to try dosing that to get my nitrate levels up for a while, and some tubing for a dosing pump that I don't yet have haha.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
im in for updates what to see what you think about the light output
I know you aren't keen but I've seen them in person a few times and like the output. Will see over my tank I guess.

I did consider going T5 but given my tank is already running, making a stand would be tricky/impossible, and I like the clean look of a kessil and gooseneck.

Considering using cable braid to tidy the wires along the goosneck. Anyone tried them or have any advise for if they wold work/look neat?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Seen this light on a sps cube , the colour of the sps were indeed insane and very healthy, yes Kessil IMO are a fantastic light, except for the problem of shadowing, this phenomenon was more pronounced with this brand compared to the other leds in the shop.
Good choice mate, but better might be two Kessil.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
That was a mighty fine offer from AoA, I was almost looking to justify the purchase of something else to start another project just to take advantage (sign number 68 that you are addicted...)

Cable braid would be perfect for it I reckon, should stretch over one end easily enough and look very neat and tidy once all installed in place.

Keen to see the updates!

Last edited:

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I had seriously considered that but thought shipping would be far more expensive. I had contacted LeRusso Designs directly some time back and they never confirmed but said 'expect it will be expensive'.

That would have been $172 delivered, which is within reasonable limits. The gooseneck and 90 degree adapter comes to $90, minus the 20% discount so $72. But I'd have potentially paid another hundred for the LeRusso. Oh well, it's ordered now!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I had seriously considered that but thought shipping would be far more expensive. I had contacted LeRusso Designs directly some time back and they never confirmed but said 'expect it will be expensive'.

That would have been $172 delivered, which is within reasonable limits. The gooseneck and 90 degree adapter comes to $90, minus the 20% discount so $72. But I'd have potentially paid another hundred for the LeRusso. Oh well, it's ordered now!
20% off will not always last!! lol

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
A 360we? Why the fuck am I only just finding out now? :rolleyes

Keep it for my 6 months and I promise I'll buy it.
so that the price can depreciate and you'll want a discount? lol no thanks mate!!! lol however if we agree on a price and we write a contract then surrreeee lol

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
AoA confirmed they are running behind with orders but will be processing tomorrow, so should be with me before the weekend all going to plan!
i really like the idea of them so small and compact just when i saw them next to a power module or even other brands of leds they were 1/3rd the visual brightness but im keen to see your results with them!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
i really like the idea of them so small and compact just when i saw them next to a power module or even other brands of leds they were 1/3rd the visual brightness but im keen to see your results with them!
Hmm well they do include a lot of UV spectrum which isn't visible so maybe that adds to the effect? Will let you know my thoughts as soon as it's up and on :D

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
:cry

AoA oversold their stock of Kessils so won't have stock again until early next week. Annoying but I've done the same with naqua once or twice before so understand. At least I am not without light for the tank, the PAR lamps are doing a decent job actually.

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
Considering using cable braid to tidy the wires along the goosneck. Anyone tried them or have any advise for if they wold work/look neat?
Thats what I did. 2 small black zipties. Might have even come with the light actually, cant remember. Such a pretty light, have become so attached to them I find myself leaping to their defence in the face of doubters. First rule of forum led threads, don't get emotionally involved!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
:cry

AoA oversold their stock of Kessils so won't have stock again until early next week. Annoying but I've done the same with naqua once or twice before so understand. At least I am not without light for the tank, the PAR lamps are doing a decent job actually.
Still no Kessil. The distributors order went missing somehow and they only just got replacement stock, so my light is now on the way from Melbourne to Brisbane so that it can be sent back to Melbourne. Looks like it will be another week until it arrives.