Reef Discussion

Jimsim

Nov 9, 2013
NEW SOUTH WALES
Kh And Ph Low
Hi guys just a question before bed, my PH is 8 and Kh is 7, I set up a manual dosing pump, some searchem reef builder (powder form) to raise the Kh up to about 9, also think that would raise the Ph up to about 8.4, ive got a 4x2x2 with sump so roughly 450L of water, now here is the question, I'm not good at maths so I need some feedback on how I did it and if it's wrong to ramp up the concentration.

Atm i have a 1L container with airline/screw. As a dosing pump =]

I put 4 teaspoons in the 1L as it is 1teaspoon for every 250ml, now i know it says on the back of the product half a teaspoon per 150L, so that means I've added too much! 1200L worth of dosing liquid into the 1L container,i was supposed to put 1 and a half tea spoons for my tank hehe, that's 2 and a half more of the dosing recommendation, I've timed it to 1 drop every 3minutes so its 1ml every hour. 24mls a day, will that cause a huge swing with a higher concentration of liquid I'm dosing since Ive put more powder and less RO water?

Like I can make a new batch, and re-time the whole thing, I just want to know will it effect anything with just 24ml of a higher concentrated mixture dosed on a daily basis until I have reached my goal of 9 kH and if Ph raises to 8.4 then no need to add my Ph buffer.

What other stuff am I doing to my tank? Just 1.5ml of Bright-wells Nano Code A and B each time I add RO water or SW, recently purchased Red sea Foundation A B C bottles which I have added on Tues C 10ml, Wens B 10ml, Thurs C 10ml, Sat Red Sea NO3PO4 5ml. A/B/C founations was only added 1 time last week and this week I may skip it.
Nitrates 5ppm - Nitrite 0 - Ammonia 0 - Mg 1320 - Phos .15ppm - Cal 420 ppm - Temp 24.6C - Salinity 1.024 (stopping RO and more SW for a few days) 20L WC every 2 days Skimmer Cup cleaned every 2-3 days. So I can bring it up to 1.026sg.

Well from asking for some feedback on if a high concentration of kH mix is a bad for me to my routine maintenance I just have to LOL at that ahah, but I could also get some feedback on if I am doing something wrong, atm everything is fine and happy, I have my Octopus BR100 with pump collecting dust as I tried it for 3 days and cloudy water scared the hell out of me, might try it again some time after my aquascape madness is fixed :)

James.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
You could just dilute the mixture you made by half, that would make it less potent and pretty close to being correct.
Then just dose on the low side and test your water daily and adjust the dosing until it looks like you've reached the levels you're after.
It took me about a month of dosing and testing to get my levels at a sustained balance.