Off-Topic

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hey MagicJ, your council is not like the one in Wollongong is it? 1.1M fine for no permit lol :p
BTW, who ever said that I didn't have a permit?

I was always dreading doing the roof structure, especially without a nail gun. Now I know why - trying to hold everything in place whilst nailing is a real PITA. But, after a couple of solid days over the weekend I have pretty much got the roof structure finished.

PH-15.jpg

Not far away from putting on the roof iron and cladding - the kids think it is starting to look like a playhouse now. I reckon it is starting to look like a fish house ;)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Another busy weekend :)

Collected the fibre cement cladding boards yesterday - fun trip home with 25 x 4.2m boards loaded onto a 6x4 trailer. I was going OK until the 'tail' hanging over the end started to wobble from side to side - decided it was time to slow down a bit at that stage.

Got the cladding on one wall today - I can't believe this took me about 7 hours to do :eek. Only 3 more to do, and the back wall is going to be a killer.

PH-16.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
BTW, if I ever mention that I am thinking of doing something like this again, can you please talk me out of it :rolleyes

I have my new hood to build for the tank, need to order some new LED's and redo my lights, the tank needs a good clean .................. I might get around to these things sometime next year :eek

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Looking awesome, wish someone built one of these for me when I was a kid

Got the cladding on one wall today - I can't believe this took me about 7 hours to do :eek. Only 3 more to do, and the back wall is going to be a killer.
Don't say that, i have to redo all the cladding down one side of my house. Hoping I could knock it over in a weekend but have been putting it off for a long time

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks Joshwaaaa -hopefully the kids will appreciate it :)

Working by yourself makes everything pretty difficult - I will hopefully have some assistance for the back wall which in one sense will be pretty easy as there are no windows to contend with. The hardest thing will be the height, as the top of the roof is around 4.5m from the ground at the back.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Meh, I'd let the kids have the house with the missus, and you can have the playhouse to yourself. A bit of sound proofing, a 50" telly, couch, fridge, beer and no bloody phones (one way intercom to ask for more beer to be brought up is acceptable). Yup, I'm going with Grug's theme on this one. :D

Little inverter generator.. will power the fridge tv and stereo big enough to drown its own noise out. :)
400 bucks off ebay.. just got one as backup for the tank.. will let you know how it goes.. :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Well, it didn't kill me, but it went close :). After 2 days of climbing up and down the ladder, swearing a few times, taking some skin off in a few places, getting tired and measuring things wrong, and various other bad things, I have the cladding finished on the back wall. The top of the roof is around 4.5m above the ground so I think I did a pretty good job on my own.

PH-17.jpg

I plan on having next Friday off, which will give me 4 days to get a bit done - I have set a target completion date plan of 19/2/12 (cross fingers).

Cheers

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia Day was spent working on the side and front walls - almost got finished what I had planned.

PH-18.jpg

Took a days annual leave today - took a while to build a gable truss for the front (now covered) and finished all the external cladding.

PH-19.jpg

Starting to look pretty good :)

Still trying to sort out some roofing iron which I was hoping could have gone on tomorrow, but unlikely now. The plan for tomorrow is to start painting the cladding and get the 3 windows started.

Cheers

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have 'acquired' a couple of pieces of glass that they use in phone boxes - it's a high strength safety glass of some sort that should work well.

I spent most of the day working on some stairs. It's not the easiest thing I have ever had to do - trying to work out all the angles and measurements etc :confused:

I hope your not planning on cutting that glass mate.. i know the stuff.. and i know it cant be cut successfully.. by hand anyway.. let me know if you need any help identifying it.. if its just plain toughened .. then its impossible to cut.. if its laminate then its possible.. but even the best suffer failures cutting by hand.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
My father-in-law has previously cut it using a metal cutting disk on an angle grinder - going very slowly :rolleyes I have no intention of doing this - one advantage of building the whole playhouse is that I can make the windows whatever size I like - they have been built to take the glass like it is.