Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Killin Vermatids.
IMG_0901.JPG
IMG_0902.JPG

Bloody vermetid snails- time to concentrate my attention on them now.

As you can see I removed my entire sandbed two weeks ago.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
You have a few in there!
What's the plan? Go to town with superglue?
I slightly sadisticly enjoyed intombing the few I had.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
You have a few in there!
What's the plan? Go to town with superglue?
I slightly sadisticly enjoyed intombing the few I had.
I take a more hands on approach and get a filleting knife out , stab the shell , break it open and let the Nass snails feed up on the exposed worms.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Hey mate , I have lots of them also.
I have always thought that they were harmless?
What do they do ?

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I take a more hands on approach and get a filleting knife out , stab the shell , break it open and let the Nass snails feed up on the exposed worms.
That sounds even more satisfying :D

Hey mate , I have lots of them also.
I have always thought that they were harmless?
What do they do ?
Problem I found is that when conditions are right they just breed and multiply. And their webs are unsightly and irritate corals.
Actually last week I read this article to

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/01/31/vermetid-tubeworms-are-bad-for-aquariums-and-coral-reefs/

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Yap, some "professional" reefers are against them in sps tanks. Thankfully I have not had damage or irritation caused that I am aware of , however since I'm on a mission to destroy nuisance algea, any pest that I encounter will not be welcome.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I put a dob of glue on the end of a cotton bud and seal the bastards up. Works a treat lol. It's a good way to get them quickly :)

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
I have had an explosion recently, a Monti was very destressed by one. I'm starting and mechanical removal at the moment. They are every where. I had some a small amount STN on one acro which has now stopped and a snail grew on the exposed skeleton.