Tank Journal Archive

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
Kole In The Naughty Corner.
image.jpeg

So this is the tank situation this morning! A couple of weeks ago I introduced a couple of small aquacultured clams to the tank, a t.maxima and a t.crocea. Both had settled in nicely and were happy for the first week or so. Unfortunately a couple of days ago I noticed that both clams had sustained some mantle damage. I'm now troubleshooting the cause by segregating my prime suspect: the Kole Tang. Hopefully the clams will recover soon and there will be a bargain-priced Kole Tang on the market!

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
Update on this... The Kole has been vindicated, it was the cleaner shrimp!

Anyone who wants a good deal on a cleaner shrimp, let me know.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Are you sure it was the cleaner shrimp (I assume you are talking about a red-line?).

Are the clams healthy? Was the shrimp just removing some damaged mantle?

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
Are you sure it was the cleaner shrimp (I assume you are talking about a red-line?).

Are the clams healthy? Was the shrimp just removing some damaged mantle?
99% sure. The mantle was ripped up over about 48hrs on both clams. They were both almost closed and very quick to close up fully if anything came near the tank. I put the red line in isolation and the clams both slowly recovered and are both now as good as new.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I would have expected a healthy clam to just close up if it started getting eaten by a shrimp, and eventually the shrimp would loose interest.

Maybe it was just a rogue shrimp :rolleyes

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
I would have expected a healthy clam to just close up if it started getting eaten by a shrimp, and eventually the shrimp would loose interest.

Maybe it was just a rogue shrimp :rolleyes
Might just be a rogue shrimp but the clams are too expensive to risk further damage. I might try a blood shrimp when the clams get a bit bigger.