Reef Discussion

Puffy#79

Jan 2, 2012
Newcastle
KORAL COLOUR
Does anyone use brightwell product Koral clour
Just bought some to try. Not a fan of snake oils but everyone seems to give it good reviews
What are you'r thoughts people

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
We have just about finished a bottle Puffy#79,
Cant say yay or nah for it really. Was dosing three times a week along with coral snow. Now that the bottles empty we may be able to see if it declines?

MavG

Nov 8, 2011
Newcastle
I use it with great success, It doesnt work on all colour's as well as it works with yellows, reds, purples and greens, but overall it brings most colour to the front, and then supplementing things like iron and potassium to enhance blues and greens can be done.

BUT You first need to have a system that is ready to enhancew colour through trace element supplementation, if you dont have low nutrient levels your pushing it up hill. The zooxanthelle will drown out the natural pigment and not allow the natural colour of the coral to shine through, and therefore enhancement of that colour through trace elkement supplementation such as koralcolor will be pointless.

What are your nutrient Levels (nitrate and phosphate) Synodontis and Puffy#79?

MavG

Nov 8, 2011
Newcastle
you should be OK, but that phosphate is stilla bit high, you need it down a little to 0.01-0.03.

What test kits are you using to test your nitrate and phosphate, phosphate by the look of your reading is a hanna checker, but please dont say API for nitrate

Puffy#79

Jan 2, 2012
Newcastle
Yeah hanna metre for phosphate and what ever tests kits that are laying round for nitrate lol
Jamie Rk just tested it with his red sea kit and it was 0.00

MavG

Nov 8, 2011
Newcastle
alright so looks like your nitrate limited if you running an organic carbon driven system, or your rowaphos/phosphate absorbtion resin needs repleacing.

Phosphate needs to come down, but apart from that, you should notice some changes, but probabaly subtle. I would be aiming to get that phosphate down

Puffy#79

Jan 2, 2012
Newcastle
Running of the back off a bad phosphate issue. Never worried about Phos when I was new at it. You know, only thought if it was a commen test kit at the lfs that I needed to test. Ended up with Phos of 3.78 crazy. Anyway started to rapid remove with lanth pool starver and rowa in a Phos reactor, think I've nearly got it all leeched out from substrate and live rock. Each test is getting lower and lower with a goal of 0.01 to 0.05

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
you'd be surprised what low phos can do for your tank.. i'm only just starting to notice the benifits now and wow... but from what im reading its best to have a little bit still left and not completely strip a system of it ?