Reef Discussion

Its interesting to see which ones make the water hazy when added and which don't. I liked seeing the Phos-corex do it but since I switched to Hi-chlor and mixing 20/100o I do not see the haziness... but its still doing the job. In fact since my all in one pellets have been reducing I have had to increase my dose from 3ml/day to now 8-9ml.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
@Sam Parker i'm at church so can't write a huge response. I don't know why you're getting so aggressive about my use of lanthanum. It took me 2 years to use 1L. The calculation I used showed 14ml would reduce my phos by 3ppm. My phos has been testing at 0 for a long time, but the algae that grows on my rocks and in the overflow compartment has always made me wonder if the phos is hiding. I haven't had any ill effects from dosing lanth weekly. In fact, if you compare my aquarium from 2 years ago with now, you will see significant improvement. I have healthy corals and long time fish residents.
Sorry, was just trying to help. Won't hear me mention lanthium again

E

ezza

Sorry, was just trying to help. Won't hear me mention lanthium again
Sorry if I have misread your emotion. Sometimes I do- that's just the way my brain works... so if you were not "WHY THE COWBELLS ARE YOU DOING THAT?!", but more calm and less blamey.. please feel free to speak about lanthanum as much as you like... is your voice tenor or bass Sam? Maybe you could record yourself reading the MSDS off a bottle of lanthanum and I can listen to it when I'm all alone with my big white bottle. :P

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Just be aware everyone that agricultural products only have to have certain relevant particulars on the label. For example, the active ingredient/s and any other chemical that is a scheduled poison.

There could be many other ingredients present in the product that are not stated on the label!

This could matter very much to aquarists as we know that small concentrations of some chemicals can have drastic effects on corals etc.

Pool products that claim biological activity are agricultural products. I am not sure about Lanthanum products - it depends on their label claims.

Best to go with a trusted product everyone else has been using for years (then again, the hobby is young and experimentation could be beneficial).

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
SDS (no longer called MSDS) are prepared by the manufacturer. They do have to follow State guidelines, but what they have to put on the label is very limited.

I doubt very much a company is going to give away much information about their formulation if you call them.

I don't think you're going to find the info about a product you would like to know Ezza, so just go off your own experience and that of others with using a particular product.

Perhaps the safest products to buy are those manufactured for human use. I would like to think the standards are much higher than for industrial products, which could contain lots of constituents not required to be stated on the label.

E

ezza

For what it's worth. No ill effects from daily dosing. The blue colouring is ending up in the skimmer cup.

I was checking things this morning and for the second time I have seen this rather amazing thing. The sock that fits in the skimmer contained a fluoro fuschia residue which is a non-slimy colouring (not Cyanobacteria) that requires bleach to remove it from the sock. It appears to be a coralline algae growth event that causes widespread and rapid growth of coralline on rocks, and in this case, an amount is getting trapped in the sock. It appears overnight, along with a large burst of the purple algae. It seems the lanthanum is aiding the system to reach an optimum level for this growth. It's all very odd- but as I said, this is the second time it has happened. I was in partial denial...but the algae which I have struggled to grow, has exploded rapidly.