News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Latest News
TL;DR - Something big is coming...

Hello everyone,

Thank you to everyone who wants to help with the next big part of The Reefuge. I would like to make an update to let everyone know what is going to happen, how it will work, and what to expect. The first goal of The Reefuge was to build a community that was inviting to both new reefers and experienced reefers. I believe that the culture here has allowed this site to grow, and as The Reefuge gets recognised more and more, new people are starting to feel more at home.

When The Reefuge first went public, a lot of people in the reefing community said that this site will not last. Most did not think it would last a year. Others thought it was just the flavour of the week and we would soon lose interest and disappear. Because of the community, and the willingness of members to help each other out, the site grew. It grows slowly, but all active members here are valued and are the spirit of the website. All the members and staff have given us something great to work for, and to return the favour, we are going to spoil you rotten this year. With that, here is a simple explanation of what is coming your way.

Modular Based System - The MBS is exactly what it sounds like. Each part of the site will be tied together through the framework as opposed to the site itself. This means Forums, Tank Journals, Events, Reviews and every other section of the site will be its very own "website" so to speak. They will relay data to eachother through the framework, but can be completely stand alone systems. For example, if we decided to delete the forums (not that we ever would), the Tank Journals will still be fully operational and data can be pulled through The Reefuge API easily for use on other sites such as facebook, twitter, or any other custom CMS.

In theory, there can be an entire server dedicated to tank journals alone, with all of the nation sites tied in, making an "invisible" website that holds tank journals hosted all around the world. Other reefing sites could then use our API to allow their members to externally host tank journals through The Reefuge without any of their members leaving their site.

In another example, Events can also be used as an "invisible" site, with other sites using the system to allow their members to build communities of their own through The Reefuge. The possibilities of growth through a system like this are endless.

To put it in a very simple way, the framework is the operating system of The Reefuge (just like Windows, Linux are to a persons computer). The modules are the software. So Tank Journals could be compared to "Word" on a windows computer. Each module is stand alone, but through our framework is a fully integrated solution through any part of The Reefuge, as well as third party websites.

We expect a sudden drop in search engine traffic once the forums are switched over for up to three months. This will be because the URL's will change. After the three month period is up, rankings will start looking better, and we will need to do a bit of off-site work to get us ranking well in Google again. This could take up to six months. However, having said that, new members will still be joining.

Additions to be made soon.
We have thought about what users would like. We understand that our State forums are still getting on their feet. To try and get users to use them more, all state forums are going to be open for everyone to view. In addition to this, there has been talk that some members have their own little communities in the offline world where they get together to swap frags, etc. The Reefuge is going to be offering all non-collective, not for profit communities free website and forum services to further help with networking and frag swaps.

These micro-communities will be run by a volunteer, and will be subsidiaries of their State Group. Great forum features will be open to the admins of these communities, and when the State Group is not busy, these micro-communities should be active enough for frag swaps, etc.

We are also going to be opening up sister groups on facebook. These will not be titled The Reefuge, but will have different names. This way, even more people will be able to network within the hobby, even if they are not members of any forums.

Any questions and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Sounds good.... I am very new here3 but should say that I do value the site and its members feedback. For a newbie I think the site is valuable if somewhat hard to find your way around. Some of the drop downs are not intuitive adn most of the database has no information which just leads you to other sites and forums!
Maybe a concerted effort to get the database up to scratch would be a good thing as would be a way to improve the ability to trade frags/kit etc from a local level.
All in all, I'm a happy newbie and look forward to seeing what changes are made..:worship

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Sounds good.... I am very new here3 but should say that I do value the site and its members feedback. For a newbie I think the site is valuable if somewhat hard to find your way around. Some of the drop downs are not intuitive adn most of the database has no information which just leads you to other sites and forums!
Maybe a concerted effort to get the database up to scratch would be a good thing as would be a way to improve the ability to trade frags/kit etc from a local level.
All in all, I'm a happy newbie and look forward to seeing what changes are made..:worship
Hi @Scuba Rich,

Welcome to The Reefuge. The navigation has been a big problem, in that there are loads of sections of the site, but because they are not visible all the time, users do not see it. This will be changed when the upgrade happens.

As far as the information in the database goes, the site is still fairly new compared to other forums on the internet. The more forum users post, and the more active they are, and the more they tell their friends about this place, the bigger the database grows.

Thanks.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Sounds good! It will be good to see the changes as scuba said it would be hard to navagate for a newbie trying to find tank journals etc

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Hi @Scuba Rich,

Welcome to The Reefuge. The navigation has been a big problem, in that there are loads of sections of the site, but because they are not visible all the time, users do not see it. This will be changed when the upgrade happens.

As far as the information in the database goes, the site is still fairly new compared to other forums on the internet. The more forum users post, and the more active they are, and the more they tell their friends about this place, the bigger the database grows.

Thanks.
I think he may be talking about the wiki which is indeed under-resourced.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
feel free to add to it everyone :D the only way it gets info is when the users add it! :reading

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
feel free to add to it everyone :D the only way it gets info is when the users add it! :reading
How does one go about adding to it? I can't find any detail or instructions but then my wife would just say I'm having a boy look.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Might need to find out if things are even possible before telling others they should do it.;)

That's like a single bloke telling another bloke to get married so he gets more sex .....lol

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Might need to find out if things are even possible before telling others they should do it.;)

That's like a single bloke telling another bloke to get married so he gets more sex .....lol
as far as i am aware anyone can add to the wiki unless things have changed.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

The wiki is in lockdown. Nothing is going to be added to it until the website switches over to the new system. There is already a lot of information that needs to be shifted over.

Thanks.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Hello everyone,

The wiki is in lockdown. Nothing is going to be added to it until the website switches over to the new system. There is already a lot of information that needs to be shifted over.

Thanks.
Makes sense, thanks for clarifying that.:D