Reef Discussion

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Would love to try these but you'd have to give it to me for nix!!! ;) can't afford one at the moment

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
I have been wanting to go LED for a while now but my biggest prob is that the tank I have is the blue planet intergrated hood. so I would have to either remove the two T5 units that are in there and replace the system, or get an LED unit that is around 100mm x 100mm. would need two of these for either side of the T5s.
other prob is they are only going to be around 75-100mm from the surface of the water.

any recommendations?

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
If the hood is like my Blue Planet Vista that I use for my tropical tank you can remove the whole section that the T5's are attached to including the ballast part-have done this with other LEDS for the same tank. Then this part can be hoodless-it will still look nice from the front as you have that thick black rim and you could suspend the lights over the tank. Are you using that canister filter part at the back of the tank for anything? If not you could remove this too and even saw out the plastic goody with all the holes in it to have a completely open top. Only thing is maybe the thin plastic bit in the middle braces the tank???

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
firebird

I have thought bout removing the T5 setup from it and replacing with a DIY LED build as I doubt anything would fit that could just be bought. in saying that it would take a looooooooong time to afford these guys!

and I dont think the plastic top would be bracing the tank although I am not game to find out. the glass is at least 8mm thick though and being a curved front should give it more strength. I have thought about removing the entire hood and going rimless. but not sure yet. I do like the neat look of the hood.

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
firebird

I have thought bout removing the T5 setup from it and replacing with a DIY LED build as I doubt anything would fit that could just be bought. in saying that it would take a looooooooong time to afford these guys!

and I dont think the plastic top would be bracing the tank although I am not game to find out. the glass is at least 8mm thick though and being a curved front should give it more strength. I have thought about removing the entire hood and going rimless. but not sure yet. I do like the neat look of the hood.
If you take a look on the first page on the Illumagic thread on MASA you will see a mod we made to an Aqua one bow front to fit a M-120S worked a treat, we also modded Red sea and Boyu in this way, it is easy and looks a treat too... go forth whip out the dremel for an even better finish, I just hacksawed and broke the plastic mold off in the past.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
One of these days I'll get around to giving these a run. One of these days. But then again, one of these days I might actually fill my tank too, haha. Is anyone using the Polar version to comment on light quality longer-term compared to the CREE model?

deanlh

Oct 20, 2011
Gold Coast
Mine should be either on the way to Reefsecrets or already there.... :) just haven't been there for a fortnight or so... really looking forward to getting my new tank set up and these bad boys blazing away..

Cheers dean

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Mine should be either on the way to Reefsecrets or already there.... :) just haven't been there for a fortnight or so... really looking forward to getting my new tank set up and these bad boys blazing away..

Cheers dean
were you the one that got 4 x 2 foots of the new model? :)