Reef Discussion

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I bought 3 of these lights a while ago , I have to say i love them ,
There great lights , My Coral has grown faster under them than generic LED's that's for sure ,

Braddles

Sep 10, 2011
Brisbane
Can anyone provide some info looking at the Polar Vs Cree LED chip?

I am very seriously considering these lights for my coral propagation system... I currently have Inwatter on a tank and very happy with the coral's growth and asthetics since changing over from T5/MH units... but still have about 10.5ft of tanks to light, and looking at all my options.

I understand the maximum length master : slave combo is 8ft per master unit?

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
Hello Braddles,

Please could you provide me with an idea of how deep your tank is and what sort of coral you wish to propagate. This will help decide which light is suited to your needs.
The Polar version is a more economical way to light your set up, whilst still providing the highest quality light that Illumagic are now becoming well known for. The Polar VS Cree are impossible to tell the difference, however it is noticed due to their relative driving ability and drive current.
The Polar are 2.5 Watt VS Cree at 3 watt. Thus Polar appear to be less bright next to a Cree version.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
KEN -Dude start running , this hobby is expensive to do properly , especially a 10x2.6x2.6 ... i recon in the region of say 10-20k ...
:) As the tank sits now we have spent nowhere 10K on it. I could justify that sort of money on a house stereo or AV gear, but no way on a tank. Would love to have used these Illumagic's, on a smaller tank maybe lol. :D

Braddles

Sep 10, 2011
Brisbane
Hello Braddles,

Please could you provide me with an idea of how deep your tank is and what sort of coral you wish to propagate. This will help decide which light is suited to your needs.
The Polar version is a more economical way to light your set up, whilst still providing the highest quality light that Illumagic are now becoming well known for. The Polar VS Cree are impossible to tell the difference, however it is noticed due to their relative driving ability and drive current.
The Polar are 2.5 Watt VS Cree at 3 watt. Thus Polar appear to be less bright next to a Cree version.
Hi there, I have now decided / paid for a light for coral propagation, but still have a large cascading system to light which is currently being done with T5. The tank is 20" in height and 20" wide in x3 sections of 2.5 ft long. LPS corals with zoas.

Can a CREE master drive slave units with Polar LED chips?

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
The Cree masters are compatible with Polar slaves.
There is a set up that chose a Polar master to control a Cree slave.

ifishnow

Nov 14, 2011
I have been trying to do research into leds to replace my standard power compacts on my Aquamarine 900 but it's all really confusing and wouldn't know where to start, especially when you don't have the funds or more so can't justify spending as much, as most seem to be worth. But still love the idea that they might help the electricity bill.

Need every cent I make, which isn't much (aged care worker, say no more) at the moment just keeping my family running.

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
I have been trying to do research into leds to replace my standard power compacts on my Aquamarine 900 but it's all really confusing and wouldn't know where to start, especially when you don't have the funds or more so can't justify spending as much, as most seem to be worth. But still love the idea that they might help the electricity bill.

Need every cent I make, which isn't much (aged care worker, say no more) at the moment just keeping my family running.
What are your tank dimensions?
Can you take a photo of the tank with the hood off, I'd be interested to see this Aquamarine 900

Thanks

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
Thanks for sharing the photos of your beautiful aquarium.
This type of plastic surround may need to be removed where the rimless brackets sit on the aquarium. We have successfully installed Illumagic this way on Red Sea, AquaOne and Boyu.
Generally a Dremel tool or hacksaw blade is used to notch out the segment where the legs sit.

On a tank of these dimensions you can use a Polar version.
If you don't need all the features, you can put a Polar Slave on your tank.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
I have a question regarding the light penetration on these. I'm currently looking into going LED on my tank atm, but I need to know what sort of light penetration I'll get near the bottom of my 75cmH tank.
Ideally I'd like to have low light corals near the bottom (fungia, leathers etc) but would like to have morphs down low and keep Lps, and maybe Sps from mid to higher up the tank later on.
The tank currently has a 150w MH lighting it, which is old tech, and driving my chiller nuts during the day period.