Off-Topic

Ben S

Apr 9, 2013
Point Cook
Learning To Dive - Padi Courses
Hello all,

I'm very interested in learning to dive and finally explore the Reefs around us.

However, I'm unsure where to start. I'm heading to Bali in August so was going to look at taking a course out there, but someone mentioned you can do all the theory online here in Australia and do the practical over in Bali.

So, my question is, where do I start? Which course do I start with etc?

Any guidance would be great as I don't have a clue where to start,

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
You're right, the theory is universal, and can be done locally. Bali has many dive spots, but best to stick with well known/reputable companies....PADI is in Bali.

I'd advise on doing the course here, to ensure it's all done in accordance and in good time, then go to Bali and enjoy it.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I did my diving course at Aquability in Mentone:
http://www.aquability.com.au/

Really awesome course and really awesome guys to learn from!! You'd be amazed at what's in the bay when you do all the practice dives! :)
You can only really start at the base level, down to 30m and that's it at a basic level cert. If you want deeper diving then you have to do further courses. I would recommend learning to dive in Melbourne as it is one of the harder places to dive which will mean you're far more capable when you get to Bali and just in general

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
@Scuba Rich not sure if his still around but he was the instructor for the dive shop on Springdale rd. You could drop him a pm and see if his still instructing.

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Scuba Rich is actually one of my dive instructors, great bloke. He takes care of all the instruction for Dive and Dive at BCF on springvale road (the old JV Marine) great thing about Dive and Dive is their professionalism, expertise and I love the fact they use new equipment every year so you never hire equipment or tanks that look like they've been to war and back.

Def do you theory online, you don't wanna sit by the pool for two days learning the theory in Bali. Prac in Bali would def be cheaper than Aus and in theory the dive centres are regulated by the same authorities as her in Aus.

But, one thing that was told to me when I went of my first recreational dive with a guru dive master, ex navy, from South Africa who would free dive with great whites, "if you learn to dive in melb (Sth Aus) you can dive anywhere in the world". Because of the vast variety of conditions melb diver are exposed to.

BTW Scuba Rich is current diving in Merimbula. Check out Dive and Dive FB page

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
haven't been on here for a while. Just saw this tag. did mine in Sydney with Prodive. Actually did it as an SSI course. Most places accept SSI as well and if you proceed further you can do your further certifications as PADI courses